Identification of SNPs within the sheep PROP1 gene and their effects on wool traits
- 286 Downloads
Regarding mutations of PROP1 (Prophet of POU1F1) gene significantly associating with combined pituitary hormone deficiency (CPHD) in human patients and animals, PROP1 gene is a novel important candidate gene for detecting genetic variation and growth, reproduction, metabolism traits selection and breeding. The aim of this study was to detect PROP1 gene mutation of the exon 1–3 and its association with wool traits in 345 Chinese Merino sheep. In this study, on the basis of PCR-SSCP and DNA sequencing methods, ten novel SNPs within the sheep PROP1 gene, namely, AY533708: g.45A > G resulting in Glu15Glu, g.1198A > G, g.1341G > C resulting in Arg63Ser, g.1389G > A resulting in Ala79Ala, g.1402C > T resulting in Leu84Leu, g.1424A > G resulting in Asn91Ser, g.1522C > T, g.1556A > T, g.1574T > C, g.2430C > G were reported. In addition, association analysis showed that three genotypes of P4 fragment were significantly associated with fiber diameter in the analyzed population (P = 0.044). These results strongly suggested that polymorphisms of the PROP1 gene could be a useful molecular marker for sheep breeding and genetics through marker-assisted selection (MAS).
KeywordsSheep PROP1 gene SNP Wool traits
This study was financially supported by the International Scientific Research and Academic Cooperation program of China (no. 2007DFB30420).
- 2.Showalter AD, Smith TPL, Bennett GL, Sloop KW, Whitsett JA, Rhodes SJ (2002) Differential conservation of transcriptional domains of mammalian prophet of pit-1 proteins revealed by structural studies of the bovine gene and comparative functional analysis of the protein. Gene 291:211–221. doi: S0378-1119(02)00599-1 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Kaffel N, Castinetti F, Reynaud R, Saveanu A, Mnif M, Fourati M, Kammoun H, Enjalbert A, Barlier A, Abid M, Brue T (2007) Genetic anti-hypophyseal insufficiency by mutation of R73C of genre PROP1: on the case of a Tunisian family. Diabetes Metab 33:S101–S123Google Scholar
- 11.Pernasetti F, Toledo SP, Vasilyev VV, Hayashida CY, Cogan JD, Ferrari C, Lourenco DM, Mellon PL (2000) Impaired adrenocorticotropin-adrenal axis in combined pituitary hormone deficiency caused by a two-base pair deletion (301–302delAG) in the prophet of Pit-1 gene. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85:390–397PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Santiago-Moreno J, López-Sebastián A, del Campo A, González-Bulnes A, Picazo R, Gómez-Brunet A (2004) Effect of constant-release melatonin implants and prolonged exposure to a long day photoperiod on prolactin secretion and hair growth in mouflon (Ovis gmelini musimon). Domest Anim Endocrin 26(4):303–314. doi: 10.1016/j.domaniend.2003.12.004 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Wang XP, Wang LX, Luo-Reng ZM, Sun SD (2008) Analysis of PRLR and BF genotypes associated with litter size in Beijing Black pig population. Agri Sci China 7(11):1374–1378Google Scholar
- 22.Pan CY, Lan XY, Chen H, Hua LS, Guo YK, Zhang B, Lei CZ (2007) Five novel single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) of the prophet of PIT1 (PROP1) gene in bovine. Arch Fur Tierzucht-Archives Anim Breed 50(4):421–423Google Scholar
- 23.Heng WN, Guo CH, Zhang XH, Zhang CQ, Chen YH (2007) Preliminary comparison of PROP1 gene between Miniature Pig and Meishan Pig. Biotechnol Bull 5:144–147 (in Chinese with English abstract)Google Scholar
- 25.Guy JC, Hunter CS, Showalter AD, Smith TPL, Charoonpatrapong K, Sloop KW, Bidwell JP, Rhodes SJ (2004) Conserved amino acid sequences confer nuclear localization upon the Prophet of Pit-1 pituitary transcription factor protein. Gene 336:263–273. doi: 10.1016/j.gene.2004.04.022 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Liu YF, Gao JF, Pan XL, Dai JS, Li DQ (1997) A study on preparation of DNA from sheep blood. J Shihezi Univ Nat Sci 1(2):136–138 (in Chinese with English abstract)Google Scholar
- 28.Zhang YN, Zhang EP, Wu D, Chen YL (2007) Studies of the relationship between polymorphism of KAP gene and economic traits for Liaoning Cashmere goat. Agri Sci China 40:2062–2067 (in Chinese with English abstract)Google Scholar