Silkworm powder containing manganese superoxide dismutase regulated the immunity and inhibited the growth of Hepatoma 22 cell in mice
- 129 Downloads
The effects of SOD contained silkworm powder on immune regulation and inhibition against Hepatoma 22 tumor cells in vivo were investigated. The activity of natural killer cell (NK) and the ConA-stimulated spleen proliferation were measured. The results found that the SOD-contained silkworm powder caused an enhancement on NK cell activity, which implied this material modulated the immune system in mice in vivo. The NK cell activities of Hepatoma 22 tumor modeled mice treated with silkworm powder including SOD were increased significantly compared to a modeled control and silkworm powder without SOD, reaching 36.18%. In addition, the ConA-stimulated spleen proliferation of SOD treated mice was higher than that of the controls. The treatment of SOD contained silkworm powder presented 40.3% of average inhibition rate to Hepatoma 22 tumor, showing stronger inhibition against tumor. There were no significant difference in body weight between modeled control and SOD silkworm powder feeding in Hepatoma 22 tumor modeled mice, suggesting the SOD silkworm powder is safety as an inhibitant to tumor. In conclusion, these findings demonstrate that administration of silkworm powder containing SOD results in activation of NK cells and immunity, suggesting the silkworm powder containing SOD plays a positive role in tumor inhibition.
KeywordsSOD-contained silkworm powder Natural killer (NK) cells Hepatoma 22 modeled mice Immune regulation Spleen proliferation
The works were supported by the Hi-Tech Research and Development Program of China (No. 2006AA10A119) and a key project of Zhejiang Government (No.2005C22042).
- 9.Maeda S (1994) Expression of foreign genes in insect cells using baculovirus vectors. In: Maramorosch K, McIntosh AH (eds) Insect cell biotechnology. CRC Press, pp 1–31Google Scholar
- 10.Choudary PV, Kamita SG, Maeda S (1995) Expression of foreign genes in Bombyx mori larvae using baculovirus vectors. In: Richardson CD (ed) Methods in molecular biology. Baculovirus Expression Protocals, vol 39. Humana Press Inc., Chatper 14Google Scholar
- 15.Kumar V, Fausto N, Abbas A (eds) (2003) Robbins & cotran pathologic basis of disease, 7th edn. Saunders, pp 914–917Google Scholar
- 18.Yue W-F, Liu J-M, Li G-L, Li X-H, Wu X-F, Sun J-T, Sun H-X, Miao Y-G (2007) Effects of silkworm larvae powder containing manganese superoxide dismutase on immune activity of mice. Mol Biol Rep. doi: 10.1007/s11033-007-9116-0
- 19.Liu Y, Zhao J, Liu Y, Hao X, Wang X, Yao S (2004) The studies of effect on tumor cell apoptosis with SOD and its anti-oxidation effect. J Radiat Res Radiat Process 22(4):243–248Google Scholar