QTL mapping reveals genetic architectures of malting quality between Australian and Canadian malting barley (Hordeum vulgare L.)
- 359 Downloads
Australia and Canada are major exporters of malting barley (Hordeum vulgare L.), with Baudin from Australia and AC Metcalfe from Canada being the benchmark varieties for premium malting quality in the past 10 years. We used the barley doubled haploid population derived from a cross of Baudin and AC Metcalfe to map quantitative trait loci (QTLs) for malting quality. The results revealed different genetic architectures controlling malting quality for the two cultivars. Sixteen QTLs were identified and located on chromosomes 1H, 2H, 5H and 7H. The Australian barley Baudin mainly contributed to the malting quality QTL traits of high diastatic power and high β-glucanase on chromosome 1H, while Canadian barley AC Metcalfe mainly contributed to the QTL traits of high hot water extract, high free amino nitrogen, high α-amylase and low malt yield in chromosome 5HL telomere region. This study demonstrated the potential to breed new barley varieties with superior malting quality by integrating genes from Australian and Canadian malting barley varieties. This paper also provides methods to anchor traditional molecular markers without sequence information, such as amplified fragment length polymorphism markers, into the physical map of barley cv. ‘Morex’.
KeywordsQTL Malting quality Barley Hordeum vulgare L.
This work was supported by funding from Grains Research and Development Corporation (GRDC) of Australia (DAW00233), Department of Agriculture and Food Western Australia, and Western Australian State Agricultural Biotechnology Centre (SABC).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Barr AR, Karakousis A, Lance RCM, Logue SJ, Manning S, Chalmers KJ, Kretschmer JM, Boyd WJR, Collins HM, Roumeliotis S, Coventry SJ, Moody DB, Read BJ, Poulsen D, Li CD, Platz GJ, Inkerman PA, Panozzo JF, Cullis BR, Smith AB, Lim P, Langridge P (2003) Mapping and QTL analysis of the barley population Chebec × Harrington. Aust J Agric Res 54(11–12):1125–1130CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Cakir M, Poulsen D, Galwey NW, Ablett GA, Chalmers KJ, Platz GJ, Park RF, Lance RCM, Panozzo JF, Read BJ, Moody DB, Barr AR, Johnston P, Li CD, Boyd WJR, Grime CR, Appels R, Jones MGK, Langridge P (2003) Mapping and QTL analysis of the barley population Tallon × Kaputar. Aust J Agric Res 54(11–12):1155–1162CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Close TJ, Bhat PR, Lonardi S, Wu YH, Rostoks N, Ramsay L, Druka A, Stein N, Svensson JT, Wanamaker S, Bozdag S, Roose ML, Moscou MJ, Chao SAM, Varshney RK, Szucs P, Sato K, Hayes PM, Matthews DE, Kleinhofs A, Muehlbauer GJ, DeYoung J, Marshall DF, Madishetty K, Fenton RD, Condamine P, Graner A, Waugh R (2009) Development and implementation of high-throughput SNP genotyping in barley. BMC Genom 10:582CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Elia M, Swanston JS, Moralejo M, Casas A, Perez-Vendrell AM, Ciudad FJ, Thomas WTB, Smith PL, Ullrich SE, Molina-Cano JL (2010) A model of the genetic differences in malting quality between European and North American barley cultivars based on a QTL study of the cross Triumph × Morex. Plant Breed 129(3):280–290CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- European-Brewery-Convention (1998) ‘Analytica EBC’. Method 4.5. Congress Method. Fachverlag Hans Carl, NurnbergGoogle Scholar
- Fox G, Logue S, Harasymow S, Taylor H, Ratcliffe M, Roumeliotis S, Onley K, Tansing P, Ferguson R, Glennie-Holmes M, Inkerman A, Tarr A, Evans B, Panozzo J, Osman A, Smith A (1999) Standardisation of diastatic power method for barley breeding programs. In: Paper presented at the Proceedings of the Ninth Barley Technology Symposium, Melbourne, AustraliaGoogle Scholar
- Hayes PM, Liu BH, Knapp SJ, Chen F, Jones B, Blake T, Franckowiak J, Rasmusson D, Sorrells M, Ullrich SE, Wesenberg D, Kleinhofs A (1993) Quantitative trait locus effects and environmental interaction in a sample of North-American barley germ plasm. Theor Appl Genet 87(3):392–401CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Li C, Cakir M, Lance R (2010) Genetic improvement of malting quality through conventional breeding and marker-assisted selection. In: Zhang GP, Li CD (eds) Genetics and improvement of barley malt quality. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg, pp 260–292Google Scholar
- Marquez-Cedillo LA, Hayes PM, Jones BL, Kleinhofs A, Legge WG, Rossnagel BG, Sato K, Ullrich E, Wesenberg DM, Barley NA (2000) QTL analysis of malting quality in barley based on the doubled-haploid progeny of two elite North American varieties representing different germplasm groups. Theor Appl Genet 101(1–2):173–184CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mayer KFX, Waugh R, Langridge P, Close TJ, Wise RP, Graner A, Matsumoto T, Sato K, Schulman A, Muehlbauer GJ, Stein N, Ariyadasa R, Schulte D, Poursarebani N, Zhou RN, Steuernagel B, Mascher M, Scholz U, Shi BJ, Langridge P, Madishetty K, Svensson JT, Bhat P, Moscou M, Resnik J, Close TJ, Muehlbauer GJ, Hedley P, Liu H, Morris J, Waugh R, Frenkel Z, Korol A, Berges H, Graner A, Stein N, Steuernagel B, Taudien S, Groth M, Felder M, Platzer M, Brown JWS, Schulman A, Platzer M, Fincher GB, Muehlbauer GJ, Sato K, Taudien S, Sampath D, Swarbreck D, Scalabrin S, Zuccolo A, Vendramin V, Morgante M, Mayer KFX, Schulman A, Conso IBGS (2012) A physical, genetic and functional sequence assembly of the barley genome. Nature 491(7426):711–716PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Pallotta MA, Asayama S, Reinheimer JM, Davies PA, Barr AR, Jefferies SP, Chalmers KJ, Lewis J, Collins HM, Roumeliotis S, Logue SJ, Coventry SJ, Lance RCM, Karakousis A, Lim P, Verbyla AP, Eckermann PJ (2003) Mapping and QTL analysis of the barley population Amagi Nijo × WI2585. Aust J Agric Res 54(11–12):1141–1144CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- van Ooijen JH (2004) MapQTL 5 software for the mapping quantitative trait loci in experimental populations. Plant Research International, WageningenGoogle Scholar
- Wenzl P, Li HB, Carling J, Zhou MX, Raman H, Paul E, Hearnden P, Maier C, Xia L, Caig V, Ovesna J, Cakir M, Poulsen D, Wang JP, Raman R, Smith KP, Muehlbauer GJ, Chalmers KJ, Kleinhofs A, Huttner E, Kilian A (2006) A high-density consensus map of barley linking DArT markers to SSR, RFLP and STS loci and agricultural traits. BMC Genom 7:206CrossRefGoogle Scholar