Mapping of southern corn rust-resistant genes in the W2D inbred line of maize (Zea mays L.)
- 388 Downloads
Southern corn rust, caused by Puccinia polysora Underw., has destructive potential on the susceptible host. In this study, the resistance inheritance was investigated in an F 2 and its F 2:3 populations derived from a cross from two inbred lines W2D (resistant) and W222 (susceptible). The 3:1 ratio of resistant to susceptible plants indicated that the resistance is controlled by one dominant gene (named as RppD). The gene RppD was located by means of the F 2 population. Total of 11 markers, including five SSR markers, five sequence-tagged site markers and one cleaved-amplified polymorphic sequence (CAPS) marker, were identified to narrow the gene RppD down to a smaller interval. The closest markers flanking RppD were SSR marker umc1291 and CAPS marker CAPS858, with genetic distances of 2.9 and 0.8 cM, respectively. Moreover, RppD might be a novel Rpp resistance gene or haplotype differing from RppQ and RppP25 according to an allelism test among the three crosses W2D × Qi319, W2D × P25 and Qi319 × P25. As a result, RppD haplotype might be helpful to maize germplasm enhancement and disease-resistant breeding.
KeywordsMaize Disease resistance Puccinia polysora Linkage map Allelism
This work was supported by grants from the Chinese National Programs for High Technology Research and Development (863 Program) (No. 2007AA10Z172), the National Science and Technology Sustained Project of China (973 Project) (No. 2006BAD13B03) and the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NO. 30370885).
- Agarwal PC, Khetarpal RK, Payak MM (2001) Polysora rust of maize caused by Puccinia polysora. Ind J Agric Sci 71:275–276Google Scholar
- Duan DR, He HZ (1984) Description of a rust Puccinia polysora on corn in Hainan Island. Acta Mycol Sin 3:125–126Google Scholar
- Hoisington D, Khairallah M, González-de-León D (1994) Laboratory protocols: CIMMYT applied molecular genetics laboratory, 2nd edn. CIMMYT, MexicoGoogle Scholar
- Kosambi DD (1944) The estimation of map distances from recombination values. Ann Eugen 12:172–175Google Scholar
- Liu YY, Wang J (1999) Southern corn rust occurred in Hebei Province in 1998. Plant Prot 25(3):53Google Scholar
- McMullen MD, Simcox K (1995) Genomic organization of disease and insect-resistance genes in maize. Mol Plant Microbe Interact 8:811–815Google Scholar
- Moon HG, Brewbaker JL, Lu XW (1999) Major QTLs for disease resistance and other traits identified in recombinant inbred lines from tropical maize hybrids. Maydica 44:301–311Google Scholar
- Ullstrup AJ (1965) Inheritance and linkage of a gene determining resistance in maize to an American race of Puccinia polysora. Phytopathology 55:425–428Google Scholar
- Wang SL (1999) Southern corn rust was epidemic in the Province of Shandong, Henan and Jiangsu. Plant Prot Technol Dissemin 3:40–41Google Scholar
- Ye JC (2000) The first inbred line Qi319 immune to maize southern rust bred in china. Sci Agric Sin 33:110Google Scholar