Study on the Possibility of Using Vine Stalk Waste (Vitis Vinifera) for Producing Gypsum Particleboards
- 88 Downloads
The objective of this study was the production of gypsum particleboards with vine stalk waste and the investigation of some physical and mechanical properties of the boards. For this purpose, boards were made from gypsum, oven-dried mass of vine stalk waste, and the white portland cement in various ratios. The thickness swelling and water absorption after 2 and 24 hours of immersion in water, the modulus of rupture, the modulus of elasticity, and the internal bond strength of the boards were determined according to the European Norms standard. The results show that, by selecting proper ratios between the constituents, particleboards with good physicomechanical properties can be produced.
Keywordsgypsum particleboard vine stalk waste physical and mechanical properties white portland cement
- 1.K. Doosthoseini. “Wood composite materials manufacturing and applications,” University of Tehran press, Tehran: Iran (2007).Google Scholar
- 6.International Organization of Vine and Wine, OIV Statistical Report on World Vitiviniculture. www.oiv.int/oiv/ files/0%20-%20Actualites/EN/Report.pdf. (2012).
- 7.Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nation, Agribusiness Handbook, Grapes & Wine, www.fao.org/ docrep/012/al176e/al176e.pdf. (2009).
- 8.A. Kargarfard and A. Nourbakhsh, “Utilization of vine pruning’s residues in particleboard,” Iranian J. of Wood and Paper Sci. Research, 19, 195-174 (2004).Google Scholar
- 9.T. Furuno, C. Hara, Y. Deng, and S. Kato, “The improvement on the properties of gypsum particleboard by reinforcing with coir fibers,” Wood Industry, 57, 386-391 (2002).Google Scholar
- 13.EN 317. “Particleboard and fiberboard – Determination of swelling in thickness after immersion in water,” European Committee for Standardization (1993).Google Scholar
- 14.EN 310. “Wood based panels – Determination of modulus of elasticity and bending strength,” European Committee for Standardization (1993).Google Scholar
- 15.EN 319. “Particleboard and fiberboard – Determination of tensile strength perpendicular to the plane of the board,” European Committee for Standardization (1993).Google Scholar
- 16.ASTM C191. “Standard Test Method for Time of Setting of Hydraulic Cement by Vicat Needle,” (1999).Google Scholar