Bending of thick functionally graded plates resting on Winkler–Pasternak elastic foundations
- 248 Downloads
The static response of simply supported functionally graded plates (FGP) subjected to a transverse uniform load (UL) or a sinusoidally distributed load (SL) and resting on an elastic foundation is examined by using a new hyperbolic displacement model. The present theory exactly satisfies the stress boundary conditions on the top and bottom surfaces of the plate. No transverse shear correction factors are needed, because a correct representation of the transverse shear strain is given. The material properties of the plate are assumed to be graded in the thickness direction according to a simple power-law distribution in terms of volume fractions of material constituents. The foundation is modeled as a two-parameter Pasternak-type foundation, or as a Winkler-type one if the second parameter is zero. The equilibrium equations of a functionally graded plate are given based on the hyperbolic shear deformation theory of plates presented. The effects of stiffness and gradient index of the foundation on the mechanical responses of the plates are discussed. It is established that the elastic foundations significantly affect the mechanical behavior of thick functionally graded plates. The numerical results presented in the paper can serve as benchmarks for future analyses of thick functionally graded plates on elastic foundations.
KeywordsFG plates Winkler–Pasternak elastic foundation shear deformation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Koizumi, “FGM activities in Japan,” Composites, 28, 14 (1997).Google Scholar
- 8.B. N. Zhemochkin and A. P. Sinitsyn, Practical Methods of Calculation of Foundation Beams and Slabs on Elastic Foundation [in Russian], Stroiizdat, Moscow (1947).Google Scholar
- 9.M. M. Filonenko-Borodich, Some Approximate Theories of Die Elastic Foundation [in Russian], Uch. Zapiski Mosk. Gos. Univ. Mekhanika., 46, 3–18 (1940).Google Scholar
- 10.M. Hetényi, Beams on Elastic Foundations, The Univ. Michigan Press, Ann Arbor, Michigan (1946).Google Scholar
- 12.V. Z. Vlasov, Structural Mechanics of Thin Walled Three-Dimensional Systems [in Russian], Stroiizdat (1949).Google Scholar
- 13.M. I. Gorbunov-Posadov, Beams and Plates on Elastic Foundation [in Russian], Gosstroiizdat (1949).Google Scholar
- 14.P. L. Pasternak, On a New Method of Analysis of an Elastic Foundation by Means of Two Foundation Constants [in Russian], Gosstroiizdat, Moscow (1954).Google Scholar