Fracture analysis of a high-strength concrete and a high-strength steel-fiber-reinforced concrete
This paper addresses the use of R-curves to study the fracture behavior of high-strength concrete and steel-fiber-reinforced concrete subjected to crack ing in a three-point bending configuration. The R-curves are modeled through an effective approach based on the equations of linear-elastic fracture mechanics (LEFM), which relates the applied load to the fundamental displacements of notched-through beams loaded monotonically. It is initially shown that, for quasi-brittle materials, the R-curves responses can be evaluated in a quasi-analytical way, using the load-crack mouth opening, the load-load line displacement, or exclusively the displacement responses obtained experimentally. Afterward, the methodology is used to obtain the fracture responses of high-strength and fiber-reinforced concretes, up to the final stages of rupture.
KeywordsR-curve quasi-brittle fracture fracture toughness fiber-reinforced concrete
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. P. Shah, S. E. Swartz, and C. Ouyang, Fracture Mechanics of Concrete — Applications of Fracture Mechanics to Concrete, Rock, and Other Quasi-Brittle Materials, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, USA (1995).Google Scholar
- 2.Z. P. Bazant and J. Planas, Fracture and Size Effect in Concrete and Other Quasi-Brittle Materials, CRC Press, Boca Raton, U S A (1998).Google Scholar
- 5.Z. P. Bazant and B. H. Oh, “Crack band theory for fracture of concrete,” Mater. Struct., 16, 155–177.Google Scholar
- 14.H. Tada et al., The Stress Analysis of Cracks, Handbook, Paris Productions Incorporated, St. Louis, U S A (1985).Google Scholar
- 16.L. E. T. Ferreira, On the Fracture Resistance of Concretes and Fiber-Reinforced Concretes, Doctoral Thesis [in Portuguese], Escola Politécnica, Universidade de São Paulo, Brazil (2002).Google Scholar
- 18.H. Saldivar, Flexural Toughness Characterization of Steel-Fiber-Reinforced Concrete. Doctoral Thesis, School of Civil Engineering (ETSCCPB), Universitat Politécnica de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain (1999).Google Scholar