Addressing human security in the Arctic in the context of climate change through science and technology
- 199 Downloads
Human security, particularly in the Arctic, is being stressed by climate change and other factors. Science and technology provide one instrument for the development of strategies that will protect those living in the Arctic from threats to environmental, social and economic conditions, namely human security, incurred by climate change. This paper explores a public good approach to Canada’s Science and Technology (S&T) strategy. Investigated in particular is the role of science and technology in addressing Arctic human security needs, using evolving Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) quality-of-life indicators to measure the ability of Canada’s S&T strategy to meet these needs.
KeywordsHuman security Climate change Science and technology policy Quality-of-life indicators
The research was funded through the authors’ involvement with ArcticNet, Project 4.7: Science to Policy Makers and People (website: http://www.arcticnet-ulaval.ca). ArcticNet is a Network of Centres of Excellence of Canada.
- Arctic Climate Impact Assessment (2005) ACIA Scientific Report, Cambridge, Cambridge University. Press. See http://www.acia.uaf.edu/
- Arctic Council (1996) http://www.arctic-council.org/.
- Arctic Council (2002) The future of children and youth of the arctic, report and work plan for 2002–2004, June 10, 2002. See http://www.arctic-council.org/Meetings/SDWG/2001%20Ro/Arctic%20Council%C2%A0_%C2%A0Children%20and%20Youth%20of%20the%20Arctic%20initiative.htm and http://www.nanoq.gl/upload/mipi/report%20and%20workplan%20future%20of%20children%20+%20y.pdf, pp. 11, 17.
- Arctic Human Development Report, 2004, http://www.svs.is/AHDR/.
- Arctic Social Indicators, the Arctic Social Indicator Project (2009) http://www.svs.is/ASI/ASI.htm.
- August D (2006) Hupacasath hosts Upnit Power Corporation Official Opening Ceremony, Ha-shilth-sa Newspaper, Oct. 19, 2006Google Scholar
- Axworthy L (1997) Canada and human security: the need for leadership. Int J 52(2):183–96 LII, SpringGoogle Scholar
- Canadian Aboriginal Science and Technology Society, CASTS (1992) http://www.casts.ca/
- Canadian Council on Learning (2007): see http://www.ccl-cca.ca/CCL/Reports/LessonsInLearning/LinL20070116_Ab_sci_edu.htm
- Corell H (2007) Address, Balancing human use and ecosystem protection: Reflections on the possibilities and limitations of a binding legal regime for the Arctic. Arctic Frontiers, Tromsø, NorwayGoogle Scholar
- Council of the Federation (2007) Report on premiers’ conference 2007 see www.councilofthefederation.ca/pdfs/COFMediaNotice_june4.pdf
- Curry B (2007) $170-million boost buoys Quebec Inuit, Globe and Mail, August 25, 2007, A4Google Scholar
- Fenge T, Penikett T (2009) The Arctic vacuum in canada’s foreign policy. Policy Options 2009:65–70Google Scholar
- First Nations and Inuit Education (2009) Department of Integrated Studies in Education, McGill University, http://www.mcgill.ca/edu-dise/fnie/.
- Government of Canada (2005) The Northern Strategy http://www.northernstrategy.ca/.
- Government of Canada (2007) Mobilizing Science and Technology to Canada’s Advantage, 2007-12-19 http://www.ic.gc.ca/cmb/welcomeic.nsf/vRTF/PublicationST/$file/S&Tstrategy.pdf
- Henstra D, McBean GA (2009) Climate change and extreme weather: a policy framework for community adaptation. Canadian Public Policy (submitted)Google Scholar
- Human Development Index (1990), http://hdr.undp.org/en/statistics/.
- Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (2007) Reflections on success: a sustainable future in a changing climate, http://www.ainc-inac.gc.ca/enr/clc/cen/pubs/ros/ros-eng.pdf
- International Arctic Science Committee (1990), http://www.arctic-council.org/.
- IPCC (2007a) Climate change 2007: the physical science basis. Contribution of working group I to the fourth assessment report of the intergovernmental panel on climate change. Solomon S, Qin D, Manning M, Chen Z, Marquis M, Averyt KB, Tignor M, Miller HL (eds)Google Scholar
- IPCC (2007b) Climate change 2007: impacts, adaptation and vulnerability. In: Parry ML, Canziani OF, Palutikof JP, van der Linden PJ, Hanson CE (eds) Contribution of working group II to the fourth assessment report of the intergovernmental panel on climate change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, pp 7–22Google Scholar
- ITK-NRI (2007) Report—negotiating research relationships with Northern Communities, http://www.itk.ca/publications/environment-pub/20070305-ITK_ResearchRelationships.pdf
- Many Strong Voices, MSV (2005) http://www.manystrongvoices.org/overview.aspx.
- McBean GA (2006) The worst is yet to come: hurricanes and global warming, Policy Options, December 2005–January 2006, pp 21–26Google Scholar
- McRae R (2001) Human Security in a Globalized World. In: McRae R, Hubert D (eds) Human security and the new diplomacy, protecting people, promoting peace. McGill-Queen’s University Press, Montreal and Kingston, pp 14–29Google Scholar
- MEF—Major Economies Forum on Energy and Climate (2009) http://www.g7.utoronto.ca/summit/2009laquila/2009-mef.html
- Nordic Council (2009), High level Nordic climate seminar.http://www.norden.org/en/nordic-council/moder/konferenser/high-level-nordic-climate-seminar/about-the-conference
- Nordic Council of Ministers Arctic Cooperation Programme (1996) http://www.33igc.org/fileshare/PDF/NCM_Arctic_cooperation.pdf.
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (2007a) Second OECD world forum on statistics, knowledge and policy. Measuring and fostering the progress of societies http://www.oecd.org/site/0,3407,en_21571361_31938349_1_1_1_1_1,00.html
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (2007b) Istanbul Declaration. http://www.oecd.org/document/24/0,3343,en_2649_201185_38883800_1_1_1_1,00.html
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (2009) OECD 2009 factbook of economic, environmental and social statistics http://lysander.sourceoecd.org/vl=18711018/cl=15/nw=1/rpsv/factbook2009/index.htm
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) (2000) http://www.oecd.org/pages/0,3417,en_32252351_32235907_1_1_1_1_1,00.html
- Patterson LL (2006) Aboriginal roundtable to Kelowna Accord: aboriginal policy negotiations, 2004–2005, PRB 06-04E, available at www.parl.gc.ca/information/library/prbpubs/prb0604-e.htm—78 k
- Simpson J (2007) American’s public spirit and public spending. Globe and Mail 26:2007Google Scholar
- United Kingdom (2008a) The National Security Strategy of the United Kingdom, Security in an interdependent world. Presented to Parliament by the Prime Minister, by command of Her Majesty (London: Cabinet Office, Cm 7291, March 2008).Google Scholar
- United Kingdom (2008b) Sustainable development indicators in your pocket 2008: A U.K. Government strategy indicators update, http://www.defra.gov.uk/sustainable/government/progress/documents/SDIYP2008_a6.pdf
- United Nations (1994) United nations human development report 1994, New Dimensions of Human Security, pp. 22–46, http://hdr.undp.org/reports/global/1994/en/pdf/hdr_1994_ch2.pdf.
- United Nations (2002) Millennium Development Goals. See www.un.org/millenniumgoals
- United Nations (2003) Outline of the report on the commission on human security. See http://www.humansecurity-chs.org/finalreport/Outlines/outline.pdf.
- United Nations (2007). Millennium development goals, 2007 progress chart: available at www.un.org/millenniumgoals/pdf/mdg2007.pdf