The Lactic Acid Enterococci Enterococcus faecium and Enterococcus durans: Nucleotide Sequence Diversity in 16S rRNA Genes
- 126 Downloads
Among the strains used as starters for making sour milk products on the territory of the CIS, the bacteria Enterococcus faecium and Enterococcus durans are frequently found. In this work, we studied a new collection of lactic acid enterococci and also obtained more complete data on the nucleotide sequences of 16S rRNA genes in some strains studied earlier and found that most strains had certain distinctions in their 16S rRNA genes as compared with the E. durans and E. faecium genes available in the NCBI database. Based on these data, it is suggested that the strains of lactic acid enterococci represent new, earlier unknown taxa of enterococci that use milk as an ecological niche.
Key wordsthermophilic lactic acid bacteria enterococci sequencing of 16S rRNA genes DNA-DNA hybridization speciation in bacteria
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Botina, S.G., Lysenko, A.M., and Sukhodolets, V.V., Elucidation of the Taxonomic Status of Industrial Strains of Thermophilic Lactic Acid Bacteria by Sequencing of 16S rRNA Genes, Mikrobiologiya, 2005, vol. 74, no.4, pp. 520–525.Google Scholar
- 2.Averina, O.V., Lysenko, A.M., Ermakova, L.M., Ogai, D.K., and Sukhodolets, V.V., DNA Homology among Strains of Thermophilic and Mesophilic Lactic Streptococci Obtained from Different Sources, Mikrobiologiya, 1998, vol. 67, no.6, pp. 792–798.Google Scholar
- 3.Lysenko, A.M., Botina, S.G., Ganina, V.I., and Sukhodolets, V.V., DNA Relatedness, Divergence, and Sibling Species of the Lactic Acid Bacterium Streptococcus thermophilus, Mikrobiologiya, 2001, vol. 70, no.1, pp. 70–76.Google Scholar
- 4.Johnson, J.L., Nucleic Acids in Bacterial Classification, Bergey's Manual of Systematic Bacteriology, Krieg, N.R. and Holt, J.G., Eds., Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins, 1984, pp. 8–11.Google Scholar
- 6.Lysenko, A.M., Gal'chenko, V.F., and Chernykh, N.A., A Taxonomic Study of Obligate Methanotrophic Bacteria by DNA-DNA Hybridization, Mikrobiologiya, 1988, vol. 57, no.5, pp. 816–822.Google Scholar
- 7.Patel, R., Piper, K.E., Rouse, M.S., Steckelberg, J.M., Uhl, J.R., Kohner, P., Hopkins, M.K., Cockerill, III, F.R., and Kline, B.C., Determination of 16S rRNA Sequences of Enterococci and Application to Species Identification of Nonmotile Enterococcus gallinarum Isolates, J. Clin. Microbiol., 1998, vol. 36, no.11, pp. 3399–3407.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Divriese, L.A., Pot, B., Van Damme, L., Kersters, K., and Haesebrouck, F., Identification of Enterococcus Species Isolated from Foods of Animal Origin, Int. J. Food Microbiol., 1995, vol. 26, pp. 187–197.Google Scholar