Letter to the Editor
- 90 Downloads
KeywordsAnimal Species Human Response Amyloid Plaque Basic Science Research Human Clinical Trial
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
- 1.Beauchamp, T, H.R. Ferdowsian, and J.P. Gluck. 2014. Rethinking the ethics of research involving nonhuman animals. Special issue. Theoretical Medicine and Bioethics 38(2): 91–185.Google Scholar
- 4.LaFollette, H., and N. Shanks. 1996. Brute science: Dilemmas of animal experimentation. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- 5.Greek, R., and N. Shanks. 2009. FAQs about the use of animals in science: A handbook for the scientifically perplexed. Lanham: University Press of America.Google Scholar
- 7.Greek, R., N. Shanks, and M.J. Rice. 2011. The history and implications of testing thalidomide on animals. The Journal of Philosophy, Science & Law 11. http://jpsl.org/archives/history-and-implications-testing-thalidomide-animals/. Accessed August 5, 2014.
- 9.Shanks, N., and R. Greek. 2009. Animal models in light of evolution. Boca Raton: Brown Walker.Google Scholar
- 16.Greek, R. 2013. Animal models of cancer in light of evolutionary biology and complexity science. In The research and biology of cancer. Hong Kong: iConcept Press Ltd.Google Scholar
- 17.Greek, R. 2013. Animal models in drug development. In New insights into toxicity and drug testing, ed. Sivakumar Gowder, 124–152. Manhattan: InTech.Google Scholar
- 23.Macleod, M. 2004. Systematic review and meta-analysis of experimental stroke. International Journal of Neuroprotection and Neuroregeneration 1: 9–12.Google Scholar
- 30.O’Collins, V.E., M.R. Macleod, S.F. Cox, L. van Raay, E. Aleksoska, G.A. Donnan, and D.W. Howells. 2011. Preclinical drug evaluation for combination therapy in acute stroke using systematic review, meta-analysis, and subsequent experimental testing. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism 31(3): 962–975.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Editorial. 2007. Cold shower for AIDS vaccines. Nature Medicine 13(12):1389–1390.Google Scholar
- 33.Gamble, L.J., and Q.L. Matthews. 2010. Current progress in the development of a prophylactic vaccine for HIV-1. Drug Design, Development and Therapy 5(9–26): 33.Google Scholar
- 34.Chu, B.C., C.C. Fan, and S.B. Howell. 1981. Activity of free and carrier-bound methotrexate against transport-deficient and high dihydrofolate dehydrogenase-containing methotrexate-resistant L1210 cells. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 66: 121–124.Google Scholar
- 35.Greenstein, J.P. 1954. Biochemistry of cancer, 2nd ed. New York: Academic Press.Google Scholar
- 36.Janofsky, M. 1993. On cigarettes, health and lawyers. New York Times, December 6. http://www.nytimes.com/1993/12/06/business/on-cigarettes-health-and-lawyers.html. Accessed April 17, 2014.
- 38.Northrup, E. 1957. Science looks at smoking: A new inquiry into the effects of smoking on your health. New York: Coward-McCann.Google Scholar
- 39.Utidjian, M. 1988. The interaction between epidemiology and animal studies in industrial toxicology. In Perspectives in basic and applied toxicology, ed. B. Ballantyne, 309–329. London: Butterworth-Heinemann.Google Scholar
- 41.Gross, P. 1977. The biologic response to inhaled mineral fibers: Facts and fancies. Reviews on Environmental Health 2(3): 167–175.Google Scholar
- 43.Oberdorster, G. 1996. Evaluation and use of animal models to assess mechanisms of fibre carcinogenicity. IARC Scientific 140: 107–125.Google Scholar
- 45.Wagner, J.C. 1963. Asbestosis in experimental animals. British Journal of Industrial Medicine 20: 1–12.Google Scholar
- 47.KMR Group. 2012. R&D performance. http://www.kmrgroup.com/PressReleases/2012_08_08KMRPBFSuccessRate&CycleTimePressRelease.pdf. Accessed July 12, 2013.
- 50.Lin, J.H. 1995. Species similarities and differences in pharmacokinetics. Drug Metabolism and Disposition 23(10): 1008–1021.Google Scholar
- 53.Collins, F.S. 2011. Reengineering translational science: The time is right. Science Translational Medicine 3(90):90cm17. doi: 10.1126/scitranslmed.3002747.
- 57.Begley, S. 2003. Physician-researchers needed to get cures out of rat’s cage. Wall Street Journal, April 25. http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB105121836549788500.
- 60.Editorial. 2010. Hope in translation. Nature 467(7315):499.Google Scholar
- 61.Editorial. 2012. Must try harder. Nature 483(7391):509.Google Scholar
- 62.Hackam, D.G., and D.A. Redelmeier. 2006. Translation of research evidence from animals to humans. Journal of the American Medical Association 296(14): 1731–1732.Google Scholar
© Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht 2014