Study of the hydrodynamics of a 350-ton ladle bath during the treatment of steel on a ladle-furnace unit*
- 34 Downloads
Results are presented from a numerical study of the hydrodynamic state of a metal bath in a 350-ton-capacity ladle during the injection of argon through bottom lances as part of the metal’s treatment on a ladle-furnace unit. A comparison is made between several variants of treatment, including the use of an injection unit with a single lance, two lances, and an asymmetric three-lance configuration. The hydrodynamics of the bath in the initial period of the injection operation are studied and an evaluation is made of melt flow velocity and the time it takes to establish steady-state flow. Trends in research being performed to develop efficient regimes for the injection of metal in ladles are also discussed.
Key wordshydrodynamics metal melt bottom injection of argon numerical modeling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. P. Piptyuk, S. E. Samokhvalov, I. A. Pavlyuchenkov, et al., “Effect of steady flow on the character of mass transfer in the metal melt of a ladle-furnace unit. Part 2. Model of mass transfer,” Teor. Prakt. Metall., No. 4/5, 14–17 (2007).Google Scholar
- 2.V. P. Piptyuk, V. F. Polyakov, E. V. Prikhod’ko, et al., “Use of modeling techniques to examine the feasibility of making more effective use of ladle-furnace units,” Chern. Metall.: Byull. NTiEI, No. 8, 22–28 (2009).Google Scholar
- 3.V. P. Piptyuk, V. F. Polyakov, A. B. Kovura, et al., “Data for modeling the hydrodynamics of a large ladle bath in the treatment of a melt on an LFU,” Fundamental and Applied Problems of Ferrous Metallurgy: Symposium, IChM, Dnepropetrovsk, Iss. 18, 115–121 (2008).Google Scholar
- 5.V. P. Piptyuk, S. E. Samokhvalov, I. A. Pavlyuchenko, et al., “Mass and heat transfer in a 140-ton variable-flow ladlefurnace unit,” Stal, No. 11, 46–50 (2007).Google Scholar
- 6.M. M. Erofeev and E. B. Agapitov, “Mathematical modeling of the nonsteady stirring of steel in a ladle-furnace unit,” Electrometallurgiya, No. 8, 32–36 (2008).Google Scholar