Nonlinear free dynamics of a two-layer composite beam with different boundary conditions
- 310 Downloads
The nonlinear free vibrations of a two-layer elastic composite beam are investigated. Different boundary conditions, both symmetric and not symmetric with respect to the beam midpoint, equal on both layers and different on each layers, are considered. The analysis is developed by means of the multiple time scale method, and at each order of the asymptotic development, we obtain different information. The first order terms provide the linear natural frequencies. The first, the second and the third natural frequencies are computed explicitly. The next order terms, on the other hand, provide the nonlinearity coefficients measuring the nonlinear amplitude dependence of the natural frequencies, i.e. the curvature of the backbone curve. Both the linear frequencies and the nonlinear coefficients are found to be dependent on two dimensionless parameters only and, for boundary conditions different on each layer, also of the ratio between the axial stiffnesses of each layer.
KeywordsTwo-layer beam Nonlinear interface Different boundary conditions Free vibrations
This work has been partially supported by the Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research (MIUR) by the PRIN funded program 2010/11 N.2010MBJK5B “Dynamics, stability and control of flexible structures”. A preliminary version of this work is presented in .
- 7.Ivanov IV, Velchev DS, Sadowski T, Kne’c M (2011) Computational models of laminated glass plate under transverse static loading. In: Altenbach H, Eremeyev V (eds) Shell-Like Structures Non-classical Theories and Applications., Advanced Structured MaterialsSpringer, Berlin, pp 469–490. doi: 10.1007/978-3-642-21855-2 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Tanveer M, Singh AV (2009) Linear and nonlinear dynamic responses of various shaped laminated composite plates. ASME J Comp Nonlinear Dyn 4:041011-1–13Google Scholar
- 14.Dai L, Sun L (2012) On the fuzzy sliding mode control of nonlinear motions in a laminated beam. J Appl Nonlinear Dyn 1:287–307Google Scholar
- 21.Lenci S, Clementi F (2012) On flexural vibrations of shear deformable laminated beams. In: ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition (IMECE 2012), Houston, Texas, USA, 9–15 November 2012, paper n. IMECE 2012–86617Google Scholar
- 22.Aly MF, Goda IGM, Hassan GA (2010) Experimental investigation of the dynamic characteristics of laminated composite beams. Int J Mech Mechatron Eng 10:59–68Google Scholar
- 25.Wei H, Kong X (2010) Effect of non-linear in-plane honeycomb core modulus on forced vibration of sandwich beam. In: Proc. of ISSCAA2010: 3rd International Symposium on Systems and Control in Aeronautics and Astronautics, Harbin, China, 8–10 June, pp. 478–482. ISBN:978-142446044-1, doi: 10.1109/ISSCAA.2010.5632499
- 28.Clementi F, Warminski J, Lenci S (2013) Nonlinear dynamics of a two-layer composite beam with nonlinear interface. In: Proc. of 21th AIMETA Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Turin, 17–20 September 2013, ISBN: 978-88-8239-183-6Google Scholar