A general formula for the drag on a sphere placed in a creeping unsteady micropolar fluid flow
In the present work, we investigate the creeping unsteady motion of an infinite micropolar fluid flow past a fixed sphere. The technique of Laplace transform is used. The drag formula is obtained in the physical domain analytically by using the complex inversion formula of the Laplace transform. The well known formula of Basset for the drag on a sphere placed in an unsteady viscous fluid flow and that of Ramkissoon and Majumdar for steady motion in the case of micropolar fluids are recovered as special cases. The obtained formula is employed to calculate the drag force for some micropolar fluid flows. Numerical results are obtained and represented graphically.
KeywordsDrag force Micropolar fluid Unsteady motion Laplace transform
- 2.Eringen AC (1998) Microcontinuum field theories I and II. Springer, New York Google Scholar
- 5.Bugliarello G, Sevilla J (1970) Velocity distribution and other characteristics of steady and pulsatile blood flow in fine glass tubes. Biorheology 7:85–107 Google Scholar
- 7.De Gennes PG Prost J (1993) The physics of liquid crystals. Oxford University Press, Oxford Google Scholar
- 21.Spiegel M (1965) Theory and problems of Laplace transforms. McGraw-Hill, New York Google Scholar
- 22.Basset AB (1961) A treatise on hydrodynamics. Dover, New York Google Scholar