Fracture Mechanics of Corrosion Cracking in Concrete by Acoustic Emission
- 187 Downloads
Nucleation of microcracks can be detected and analyzed by acoustic emission (AE), by which crack kinematics of locations, types and rientations are quantitatively estimated. The procedure was applied to clarify mechanisms of corrosion cracking. Based on fracture mechanics, numerical analysis was conducted by the boundary element method (BEM). Relations between the stress intensity factors and crack types were investigated by BEM solutions. In experiments, four types of crack patterns were nucleated by employing expansive agent. Following the surface crack, the diagonal crack and/or the horizontal crack propagated. The internal crack extended after the surface crack was terminated. Depending on the crack types, contributions of mode-I and mode-II were varied. According to AE results, four crack patterns observed differently consisted of tensile, mixed-mode and shear cracks. It is demonstrated that mechanisms of corrosion cracking in concrete are dominantly of mode-I failure along with a minor contribution of mixed-mode and mode-II.
KeywordsAcoustic emission (AE) Moment tensor analysis Corrosion cracking Boundary element method (BEM) Stress intensity factor Virtual reality modeling language (VRML) Continuum mechanics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ohtsu, M., Okamoto, T., Yuyama, S. 1998‘Moment tensor analysis of acoustic emission for cracking mechanics in concrete’ACI Struct. J.958795Google Scholar
- 2.Ohtsu, M., Shigeishi, M. 2002‘Three-dimensional visualization of moment tensor analysis by SiGMA-AE’e-J. Nondestructive Test. ISSN714354934Google Scholar
- 3.Farid Uddin, A.K.M., Ohtsu, M. 2002‘BEM analysis of mixed-mode crack propagation due to corrosion of reinforcement in concrete’J. Mater. Concrete Struct. Pavements, JSCE55271280Google Scholar
- 5.Smith, R.N.L. and Mason, J.C., ‘A Boundary element method for curved crack problems in two dimensions’, in: Boundary Element Methods in Engineering, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, (1982) pp. 472–484.Google Scholar
- 6.Erdogan, F. and Sih, G.C., ‘On the crack extension in plates under plane loading and transverse shear’, J. Basic Eng. (12) (1963) 519–527.Google Scholar
- 8.Farid Uddin, A.K.M., Ohtsu, M. 2002‘Application of AE to fracture toughness and crack analysis by BEM in concrete’e-J. Nondestructive Test ISSN714351934Google Scholar