Identification, purification and partial characterization of low molecular weight protein inhibitor of Na+/K+-ATPase from pulmonary artery smooth muscle cells
- 150 Downloads
We have identified a novel endogenous low mol wt. (15.6 kDa) protein inhibitor of Na+/K+-ATPase in cytosolic fraction of bovine pulmonary artery smooth muscle cells. The inhibitor showed different affinities toward the α2β1 and α1β1 isozymes of Na+/K+-ATPase, where α2 is more sensitive than α1. The inhibitor interacted reversibly to the E1 site of the enzyme and blocked the phosphorylated intermediate formation. Circular dichroism study suggests that the inhibitor causes an alteration in the confirmation of the enzyme.
KeywordsNa+/K+-ATPase Protein inhibitor Ouabain Pulmonary smooth muscle cells
Financial assistance from the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (Govt. of India) and DST-PURSE program of the University of Kalyani is greatly acknowledged.
Conflict of interest
There is no conflict of interest.
- 2.Blanco G, Mercer RW (1996) Isozymes of the Na+/K+-ATPase: heterogeneity in structure, diversity in function. Am J Physiol 275:F633–F650Google Scholar
- 7.Tamura M, Naruse M, Sakakibara M, Inagami T, Towbin H, Staehelin T, Gordon J (1993) Isolation of an endogenous Na-pump specific inhibitor from normal pig urine: characterization and comparison with the inhibitor purified from bovine adrenal glands. Biochim Biophys Acta 1157:15–22PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.HaupertJr GT (1988) Physiological inhibitors of Na+/K+-ATPase: concept and status. Prog Clin Biol Res 268:297–320Google Scholar
- 21.Ghosh B, Chakraborti T, Kar P, Dey K, Chakraborti S (2009) Solubilization, purification, andreconstitution of alpha 2 beta 1 isozyme of Na+/K+-ATPase from caveolae of pulmonary smooth muscle plasma membrane: comparative studies with DHPC, C12E8, and Triton X-100. Mol Cell Biochem 323:169–184PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Fiske CH, Subbaraw Y (1925) The colorimetric determination of phosphorus. J Biol Chem 66:375–400Google Scholar
- 27.Mandal A, Das S, Chakraborti T, Kar P, Ghosh B, Chakraborti S (2006) Solubilization, purification and reconstitution of Ca2+-ATPase from bovine pulmonary artery smooth muscle microsomes by different detergents: preservation of native structure and function of the enzyme by DHPC. Biochim Biophys Acta 760:20–31CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Daniel WW (1978) Biostatistics: a foundation for analysis in the health sciences (estimation). Wiley, New York, pp 121–157Google Scholar
- 36.Rogaeva EA, Perova NV, Alexandrov AA, Oganov RG, Lopina OD, Boldyrev AA (1987) Is there a relation between the presence in the serum of patients with arterial hypertension of a protein component with molecular weight of 15 kDa and the inhibitory effect of the serum on Na+/K+-ATPase? Vopr Med Khim 33:34–39PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 37.Glynn IM (1985) In: Martonosi AN (ed) The enzymes of biological membranes, 2nd edn, vol 3. Plenum Publisher, New York, pp 35–11Google Scholar