ZNF580 mediates eNOS expression and endothelial cell migration/proliferation via the TGF-β1/ALK5/Smad2 pathway
- 575 Downloads
ZNF580 is a novel C2H2 zinc-finger nuclear transcription factor with potential involvement in the transforming growth factor-β1 (TGF-β1) signal transduction pathway. Emerging evidence suggests that TGF-β1 can regulate endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) expression in endothelial cells. This study aimed to determine if ZNF580 mediated eNOS expression and participated in endothelial cell migration and proliferation via the TGF-β1/Smad2/ZNF580/eNOS signaling pathway. Overexpression/downexpression of ZNF580 in EAhy926 cells leads to the enhancement/decrease of eNOS expression. TGF-β1 downregulated both ZNF580 and eNOS at the mRNA and protein levels in concentration- and time-dependent manners. ZNF580 and eNOS downregulation induced by TGF-β1 was blocked by the specific TGF-β1 type I receptor ALK5 inhibitor, SB431542. Overexpression of ZNF580 attenuated TGF-β1-induced inhibition of EAhy926 cell growth and mobility, and vice versa. These results suggest that ZNF580 mediates eNOS expression and endothelial cell migration/proliferation via the TGF-β1/ALK5/Smad2 pathway, and thus plays a crucial role in vascular endothelial cells.
KeywordsZNF580 Endothelial nitric oxide synthase Transforming growth factor-β1 Endothelial cell
Transforming growth factor-β
Fetal bovine serum
Green fluorescent protein
Endothelial nitric oxide synthase
Polymerase chain reaction
We are grateful to Dr. Thomas Michel (Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA) for the generous gifts of the plasmids pGL3-basic and human pGL3-eNOS-Luc. This project was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China Grants (No. 81170106, No. 81200223) and Science Foundation of Logistics University CPAF (No. WHB201207).
Conflict of interest
No competing financial interests exist.
- 1.Zhang WC, Chen BS, Zeng WW, Wu G (2003) Cloning and tissue expression of a novel gene down-regulated by low density lipoprotein. Basic Med Sci Clin 23:279–282Google Scholar
- 2.Zhang WC, Chen BS, Zeng WW, Wu G, Xue H (2001) Cloning and structural analysis of a novel gene down-regulated by low density lipoprotein. Nat Med J China 81:435–436Google Scholar
- 5.Zhang WC, Sun HY, Luo YY, Cui ML (2008) Construction of eukaryotic expression vector for ZNF580 and EGFP fusion protein and its expression and localization in HEK293 cells. Acta Acad Med CPAF 17:161–165Google Scholar
- 6.Zhang WC, Sun HY, Meng XY (2008) Subcellular localization of ZNF580-EGFP fusion protein. Chin J Pathophysiol 24:1590–1594Google Scholar
- 19.Froese N, Kattih B, Breitbart A, Grund A, Geffers R, Molkentin JD, Kispert A, Wollert KC, Drexler H, Heineke J (2011) GATA6 promotes angiogenic function and survival in endothelial cells by suppression of autocrine transforming growth factor activin receptor-like kinase 5 signaling. J Biol Chem 286:5680–5690PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar