Aberrant promoter hypermethylation of p21 (WAF1/CIP1) gene and its impact on expression and role of polymorphism in the risk of breast cancer
- 338 Downloads
p21 (Waf-1) is a cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor that plays essential roles in cell growth arrest, terminal differentiation, and apoptosis. Statistically significant difference in the level of methylation of p21/CIP1 (p < 0. 05) between the patients with breast cancer and the healthy controls was observed. Risk of breast cancer was increased in patients with hypermethylated p21/CIP1 promoter by 2.31-fold (OR = 2.31, 95 % CI 1.95–2.74). The downregulation of p21/CIP1 mRNA expression was statistically significant in patients with methylated promoter (p < 0.00) in comparison to patients with unmethylated genes. Downregulation of mRNA expression of p21/CIP1 was up to 79 % due to promoter hypermethylation. We examined several p21/CIP1 genotypes in the patients with breast cancer and found that there is no significant association of these p21/CIP1 genotypes with the risk of developing breast cancer. However, a significant 2.21-fold increase in the chance of developing breast cancer was observed in the candidates carrying at least one allele Arg mutant in p21/CIP1 genotype (i.e., Ser/Arg + Arg/Arg) with age >50 (OR = 2.21; 95 % CI 1.03–4.79).
Keywordsp21 (Waf-1) Breast cancer Hypermethylation Expression Polymorphism
We are indebted to the staff of PGIMER for providing the clinical samples.
- 2.Weber BL, Nathamon KL (2000) Low penetrance genes associated with increased risk for breast cancer. Cancer Res 38:1193–1199Google Scholar
- 11.Caffo O, Doglioni C, Veronese S, Bonzanini M, Marchetti A, Buttitta F, Fina P, Leek R, Morelli L, Palma PD, Harris AL, Barbareschi M (1996) Prognostic value of p21 (WAF1) and p53 expression in breast carcinoma: an immunohistochemical study in 261 patients with long-term follow-up. Clin Cancer Res 2:1591–1599PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Sun Y, Hildesheim A, Li H, Li Y, Chen JY, Cheng YJ, Hayes RB, Rothman N, Bi WF, Cao Y et al (1995) No point mutation but a codon 31ser/arg polymorphism of the WAF-1/CIP-1/p21 tumor suppressor gene in nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC): the polymorphism distinguishes Caucasians from Chinese. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 4:261–267PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Ma XJ, Wang Z, Ryan PD, Isakoff SJ, Barmettler A, Fuller A, Muir B, Mohapatra G, Salunga R, Tuggle JT, Tran Y, Tran D, Tassin A, Amon P, Wang W, Wang W, Enright E, Stecker K, Estepa-Sabal E, Smith B, Younger J, Balis U, Michaelson J, Bhan A, Habin K, Baer TM, Brugge J, Haber DA, Erlander MG, Sgroi DC (2004) A two-gene expression ratio predicts clinical outcome in breast cancer patients treated with tamoxifen. Cancer Cell 5:607–616CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 28.Roman-Gomez J, Castillejo JA, Jimenez A, Gonzalez MG, Moreno F, RodriguezMdel C, Barrios M, Maldonado J, Torres A (2002) 5′ CpG island hypermethylation is associated with transcriptional silencing of the p21 (CIP1/WAF1/SDI1) gene and confers poor prognosis in acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Blood 99:2291–2296CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 46.Wang XY, Wang YG, Wang YF (2011) Ginsenoside Rb1, Rg1 and three extracts of traditional Chinese medicine attenuate ultraviolet B-induced G1 growth arrest in HaCaT cells and dermal fibroblasts involve down-regulating the expression of p16, p21 and p53. Photodermatol Photoimmunol Photomed 27:203–212CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar