Mipu1, a novel rat zinc-finger protein, inhibits transcriptional activities of AP-1 and SRE in mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling pathway
- 141 Downloads
Mipu1 is a novel rat gene recently identified in our lab. Mipu1 cDNA contains a 1,824 bp open reading frame (ORF) and encoded a 608 amino acid protein with an N-terminal Krüppel-associated box (KRAB) domain and classical zinc finger C2H2 motifs in the C-terminus. Mipu1 protein is located in the nuclei. Fused to Gal-4 DNA-binding domain and cotransfected with pG5-luc, Mipu1 played a transcriptional suppressive effect. Deletion analysis with a series of truncated fusion proteins indicated that the KRAB motif was a basal repression domain. Overexpression of Mipu1 in H9c2 myogenic cells inhibited the transcriptional activities of SRE and AP-1. RNAi of Mipu1 in H9c2 myogenic cells activated the transcriptional activities of SRE and AP-1. These results suggested that Mipu1 protein might act as a transcriptional repressor in mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) signaling pathway to mediate cellular functions.
KeywordsMipu1 KRAB motif Transcriptional suppressor Myocardial ischemia MAPK signaling pathway SRE AP-1
This work was supported by funding from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (30770855, 30672149), the Major National Basic Research Program of China (2007CB512007).
- 3.Yuan C, Zhang HL, Liu Y, Wang QP, Xiao XZ (2004) Cloning and characterization of a new gene Mipu1 up-regulated during myocardial ischemia-reperfusion. Prog Biochem Biophys 31:231–236Google Scholar
- 8.Kim SS, Chen YM, Leary EO, Witzgall R, Vidal M, Bonventre JV (1996) A novel member of the RING finger family, KRIP-1, associated with the KRAB-A transcriptional repressor domain of zinc finger proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93:15299–15304. doi: 10.1073/pnas.93.26.15299 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Schnabl B, Hu K, Mühlbauer M, Hellerbrand C, Stefanovic B, Brenner DA, Schölmerich J (2005) Zinc finger protein 267 is up-regulated during the activation process of human hepatic stellate cells and functions as a negative transcriptional regulator of MMP-10. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 335:87–96. doi: 10.1016/j.bbrc.2005.07.043 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Li Y, Yang D, Bai Y, Mo X, Huang W, Yuan W, Yin Z, Deng Y, Murashko O, Wang Y, Fan X, Zhu C, Ocorr K, Bodmer R, Wu X (2008) ZNF418, a novel human KRAB/C2H2 zinc finger protein, suppresses MAPK signaling pathway. Mol Cell Biochem 310:141–151. doi: 10.1007/s11010-007-9674-4 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Jeon BN, Yoo JY, Choi WI, Lee CE, Yoon HG, Hur MW (2008) Proto-oncogene FBI-1 (Pokemon/ZBTB7A) represses transcription of the tumor suppressor Rb gene via binding competition with Sp1 and recruitment of corepressors. J Biol Chem [Epub ahead of print]Google Scholar
- 21.Agata Y, Matsuda E, Shimizu A (1999) Two novel Kruppel-associated box-containing zinc-finger proteins, KRAZ1 and KRAZ2, repress transcription through functional interaction with the corepressor KAP-1 (TIF1b/KRIP-1). J Biol Chem 274:16412–16422. doi: 10.1074/jbc.274.23.16412 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar