mRNA differential display identification of vascular smooth muscle early response genes regulated by PDGF
The modulation of vascular smooth muscle cells (VSMCs) from the quiescent phenotype to the proliferative and migratory phenotype is a critical event in the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis. To-date several growth factors, including platelet-derived growth factor, PDGF, have been shown to induce VSMC proliferation and migration. To further understand the mechanism of PDGF-induced VSMC activation, quiescent human coronary artery SMC were treated with PDGF, and the genes that displayed transcriptional changes within 3 and 8 h were identified using differential display RT-PCR, real-time PCR, nucleotide sequencing and bioinformatics. Eleven genes that were highly upregulated or down-regulated at 3 and/or 8 h by PDGF, designated growth-factor regulated VSMC genes (GRSG1-11), were analyzed. GRSG5 and GRSG9-1 were identified as cortactin and cytochrome c oxidase subunit II, respectively. The remaining nine GRSGs were novel. GRSG3, 4, 5 and 9-2 showed wide tissue distribution whereas GRSG10-1, 10-2, and 11 were tissue specific. Cortactin was localized by immunohistochemical staining to the neointima and fibrous cap of human coronary artery atherosclerotic plaques. Domain analysis of open reading frames suggest that the novel GRSGs may participate in signaling, metabolic, translational or migrational processes during PDGF-induced VSMC activation.
Keywordsatherosclerosis gene regulation platelet-derived growth factor vascular smooth muscle cells
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Mulvihill ER, Jaeger J, Sengupta R, Ruzzo WL, Reimer C, Lukito S, Schwartz SM: Atherosclerotic plaque smooth muscle cells have a distinct phenotype. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 24: 1–7, 2004Google Scholar
- 4.Hughes AD, Clunn GF, Refson J, Demoliou-Mason C: Platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF): actions and mechanisms in vascular smooth muscle. Gen Pharmac 27: 1079–1089, 1996Google Scholar
- 21.Liang P: Analysis of messenger RNA by differential display. In: P.A. Krieg (ed) A laboratory guide to RNA isolation analysis and synthesis. A John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 1996, pp 223–236Google Scholar
- 27.Wilkin DJ, Kutsunai SY, Edwards PA: Isolation and sequence of the human farnesyl pyrophosphate synthetase cDNA. Coordinate regulation of the mRNAs for farnesyl pyrophosphate synthetase, 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase, and 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A synthase by phorbol ester. J Biol Chem 15: 4607–4614, 1990Google Scholar
- 32.Sonenberg N, Hershey JWB, Mathews MB: Translational Control of Gene Expression, 2nd edn., Cold Spring Harbour Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, New York, 2000Google Scholar
- 33.Strausberg RL, Feingold EA, Grouse LH, Derge JG, Klausner RD, Collins FS, Wagner L, Shenmen CM, Schuler GD, Altschul SF, Zeeberg B, Buetow KH, Schaefer CF, Bhat NK, Hopkins RF, Jordan H, Moore T, Max SI, Wang J, Hsieh F, Diatchenko L, Marusina K, Farmer AA, Rubin GM, Hong L, Stapleton M, Soares MB, Bonaldo MF, Casavant TL, Scheetz TE, Brownstein MJ, Usdin TB, Toshiyuki S, Carninci P, Prange C, Raha SS, Loquellano NA, Peters GJ, Abramson RD, Mullahy SJ, Bosak SA, McEwan PJ, McKernan KJ, Malek JA, Gunaratne PH, Richards S, Worley KC, Hale S, Garcia AM, Gay LJ, Hulyk SW, Villalon DK, Muzny DM, Sodergren EJ, Lu X, Gibbs RA, Fahey J, Helton E, Ketteman M, Madan A, Rodrigues S, Sanchez A, Whiting M, Madan A, Young AC, Shevchenko Y, Bouffard GG, Blakesley RW, Touchman JW, Green ED, Dickson MC, Rodriguez AC, Grimwood J, Schmutz J, Myers RM, Butterfield YS, Krzywinski MI, Skalska U, Smailus DE, Schnerch A, Schein JE, Jones SJ, Marra MA; Mammalian Gene Collection Program Team: Generation and initial analysis of more than 15,000 full-length human and mouse cDNA sequences. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99: 16899–16903, 2002PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 34.Ota T, Suzuki Y, Nishikawa T, Otsuki T, Sugiyama T, Irie R, Wakamatsu A, Hayashi K, Sato H, Nagai K, Kimura K, Makita H, Sekine M, Obayashi M, Nishi T, Shibahara T, Tanaka T, Ishii S, Yamamoto J, Saito K, Kawai Y, Isono Y, Nakamura Y, Nagahari K, Murakami K, Yasuda T, Iwayanagi T, Wagatsuma M, Shiratori A, Sudo H, Hosoiri T, Kaku Y, Kodaira H, Kondo H, Sugawara M, Takahashi M, Kanda K, Yokoi T, Furuya T, Kikkawa E, Omura Y, Abe K, Kamihara K, Katsuta N, Sato K, Tanikawa M, Yamazaki M, Ninomiya K, Ishibashi T, Yamashita H, Murakawa K, Fujimori K, Tanai H, Kimata M, Watanabe M, Hiraoka S, Chiba Y, Ishida S, Ono Y, Takiguchi S, Watanabe S, Yosida M, Hotuta T, Kusano J, Kanehori K, Takahashi-Fujii A, Hara H, Tanase TO, Nomura Y, Togiya S, Komai F, Hara R, Takeuchi K, Arita M, Imose N, Musashino K, Yuuki H, Oshima A, Sasaki N, Aotsuka S, Yoshikawa Y, Matsunawa H, Ichihara T, Shiohata N, Sano S, Moriya S, Momiyama H, Satoh N, Takami S, Terashima Y, Suzuki O, Nakagawa S, Senoh A, Mizoguchi H, Goto Y, Shimizu F, Wakebe H, Hishigaki H, Watanabe T, Sugiyama A, Takemoto M, Kawakami B, Yamazaki M, Watanabe K, Kumagai A, Itakura S, Fukuzumi Y, Fujimori Y, Komiyama M, Tashiro H, Tanigami A, Fujiwara T, Ono T, Yamada K, Fujii Y, Ozaki K, Hirao M, Ohmori Y, Kawabata A, Hikiji T, Kobatake N, Inagaki H, Ikema Y, Okamoto S, Okitani R, Kawakami T, Noguchi S, Itoh T, Shigeta K, Senba T, Matsumura K, Nakajima Y, Mizuno T, Morinaga M, Sasaki M, Togashi T, Oyama M, Hata H, Watanabe M, Komatsu T, Mizushima-Sugano J, Satoh T, Shirai Y, Takahashi Y, Nakagawa K, Okumura K, Nagase T, Nomura N, Kikuchi H, Masuho Y, Yamashita R, Nakai K, Yada T, Nakamura Y, Ohara O, Isogai T, Sugano S: Complete sequencing and characterization of 21,243 full-length human cDNAs. Nat Genet 36: 40–45, 2004CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 38.Ragan CI: Structure of NADH-ubiquinone reductase (Complex I). Curr Top Bioenerg 15: 1–36, 1987Google Scholar