Multilevel Simulation of Functionals of Bernoulli Random Variables with Application to Basket Credit Derivatives
- 161 Downloads
We consider N Bernoulli random variables, which are independent conditional on a common random factor determining their probability distribution. We show that certain expected functionals of the proportion L N of variables in a given state converge at rate 1/N as N → ∞. Based on these results, we propose a multi-level simulation algorithm using a family of sequences with increasing length, to obtain estimators for these expected functionals with a mean-square error of ϵ 2 and computational complexity of order ϵ −2, independent of N. In particular, this optimal complexity order also holds for the infinite-dimensional limit. Numerical examples are presented for tranche spreads of basket credit derivatives.
KeywordsMultilevel Monte Carlo simulation Large deviations principle Exchangeability Basket credit derivatives
AMS 2000 Subject Classifications65C05 60F10 91G60 91G40
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Andersen L, Sidenius J (2005) Extensions to the Gaussian copula: random recovery and random factor loadings. J Credit Risk 1(1):29–70Google Scholar
- Bujok K, Reisinger C (2012) Numerical valuation of basket credit derivatives in structural jump-diffusion models. J Comp Fin 15(4):115–158Google Scholar
- Chen N, Glynn P, Liu Y (2012) Computing functions of conditional expectation via multilevel nested simulation. In: Conference Presentation at MCQMCGoogle Scholar
- Kallenberg O (2005) Probabilisitc symmetries and invariance principles. Springer, New York (2005)Google Scholar
- Vasicek O (1991) Limiting loan loss probability distribution. KMV Corporation, Document Number: 999−0000−046Google Scholar