Stress intensity factors for cracks at the vertex of a rounded V-notch
- 49 Downloads
The method of singular integral equations was applied to determine the stress intensity factors for a system of cracks emanating from the vertex of an infinite rounded V-notch subjected to symmetric loading. The numerical values were obtained for two cases—the case of a single crack and the case of a system of two cracks of equal length. The influence of the rounding radius of the vertex of the notch and its opening angle on the stress intensity factors at the crack tips was analyzed. The solution obtained as a result has a general nature—the stress intensity factors at the crack tip are expressed as a function of the V-notch stress intensity factor and, hence, this solution could be treated as an asymptotic relation for finite bodies with deep V-notches subjected to symmetric loads.
Keywordsfracture mechanics stress intensity factor sharp and rounded V-notches cracks integral equations
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.V. V. Panasyuk and M. P. Savruk, “Plastic strips model in elastic-plastic problems of fracture mechanics,” Adv. Mech., 15. No. 3–4, 123–147 (1992).Google Scholar
- 7.M. P. Savruk and P. B. Rytsar, “A closed approximate solution of a plane problem of the theory of elasticity for a wedge with symmetric crack,” in: V. V. Panasyuk (editor), Fracture Mechanics of Materials and Strength of Structures [in Ukrainian], Vol. 2, Kamenyar, Lviv (1999), pp. 125–128.Google Scholar
- 10.N. I. Muskhelishvili, Some Basic Problems of the Mathematical Theory of Elasticity [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1966).Google Scholar
- 12.G. P. Cherepanov, Mechanics of Brittle Fracture [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1974).Google Scholar
- 13.M. L. Williams, “Stress singularities resulting from various boundary conditions in angular corners of plates in extension,” J. Appl. Mech., 19, No. 4, 526–530 (1952).Google Scholar
- 14.M. P. Savruk, P. N. Osiv, and I. V. Prokopchuk, Numerical Analysis in Plane Problems of the Theory of Cracks [in Russian], Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1989).Google Scholar
- 15.M. P. Savruk, Stress Intensity Factors in Bodies with Cracks [in Russian], in: V. V. Panasyuk (editor), Fracture Mechanics and Strength of Materials. A Handbook [in Ukrainian], Vol. 2, Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1988).Google Scholar
- 16.N. Hasebe and J. Iida, “A crack originating from triangular notch on a rim of semiinfinite plate,” Eng. Fract. Mech., 13, No. 7, 773–782 (1978).Google Scholar