Prediction of the Durability of Cyclically Loaded Structural Elements
- 23 Downloads
A procedure of determination of the durability of cyclically loaded notched specimens is proposed and experimentally verified. The procedure is based on the concepts of the unified model of fatigue fracture treating the processes of initiation and propagation of a fatigue macrocrack from the common point of view. For specimens with structural stress concentrators of two types, we compute the periods of initiation and growth of a fatigue macrocrack and the number of loading cycles to failure on the basis of the diagrams of fatigue crack growth rates. The numerical results agree with the experimental data with an error of at most 38% depending on the method of calculations and durability.
KeywordsExperimental Data Growth Rate Fatigue Structural Material Fatigue Crack
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. V. Pisarenko (editors), Strength of Materials and Structural Elements Under Extreme Conditions [in Russian], Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1980).Google Scholar
- 2.V. V. Panasyuk (editors), Fracture Mechanics and Strength of Materials. A Handbook [in Russian] Vol. 4: O. N. Romaniv, S. Ya. Yarema, G. N. Nikiforchin, et al., Fatigue and Cyclic Crack Resistance of Structural Materials [in Russian], Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1990).Google Scholar
- 3.V. V. Panasyuk, The Mechanics of Quasibrittle Fracture of Materials [in Russian], Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1991).Google Scholar
- 4.A. E. Andreikiv, and A. I. Darchuk, Fatigue Fracture and Durability of Structures [in Russian], Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1992).Google Scholar
- 5.A. E. Andreikiv, “A calculation model for determining the fatigue macrocrack initiation period,” Sov. Mater. Sci., 12, No. 6, 602–605 (1976).Google Scholar
- 6.O. P. Ostash, and V. V. Panasyuk, “Theory of initiation and propagation of fatigue cracks,” Sov. Mater. Sci., 24, No. 1, 10–17 (1988).Google Scholar
- 7.O. P. Ostash, “Determination of the period of fatigue macrocrack initiation at stress notches,” Sov. Mater. Sci., 26, No. 4, 455–460 (1990).Google Scholar
- 9.V. V. Panasyuk, G. S. Ivanytska, and O. P. Ostash, “A new approach to the determination of the macrocrack nucleation period near a stress concentrator,” Fatigue Fract. Eng. Mater. Struct., 16, 453–464 (1993).Google Scholar
- 10.R. E. Peterson, Stress Concentration Design Factors, Wiley, New York (1974).Google Scholar
- 12.O. P. Ostash, E. M. Kostyk, V. G. Kudryashov, I. M. Andreyko, and I. A. Skotnikov, “Low-temperature cyclic crack resistance of high-strength aluminum alloys in crack initiation and growth stages,” Sov. Mater. Sci., 26, No. 3, 281–287 (1990).Google Scholar