A new shear and normal deformation theory for isotropic, transversely isotropic, laminated composite and sandwich plates
In the present study, a sinusoidal shear and normal deformation theory taking into account effects of transverse shear as well as transverse normal is used to develop the analytical solution for the bidirectional bending analysis of isotropic, transversely isotropic, laminated composite and sandwich rectangular plates. The theory accounts for adequate distribution of the transverse shear strains through the plate thickness and traction free boundary conditions on the plate boundary surface, thus a shear correction factor is not required. The displacement field uses sinusoidal function in terms of thickness coordinate to include the effect of transverse shear and the cosine function in terms of thickness coordinate is used in transverse displacement to include the effect of transverse normal. The kinematics of the present theory is much richer than those of the other higher order shear deformation theories, because if the trigonometric term is expanded in power series, the kinematics of higher order theories are implicitly taken into account to good deal of extent. Governing equations and boundary conditions of the theory are obtained using the principle of virtual work. The Navier solution for simply supported laminated composite plates has been developed. Results obtained for displacements and stresses of simply supported rectangular plates are compared with those of other refined theories and exact elasticity solution wherever applicable.
KeywordsBidirectional bending Isotropic Transversely isotropic Composite plate Sandwich plate Transverse shear Transverse normal
- Ferreira, A.J.M., Roque, C.M.C., Carrera, E., Cinefra, M., Polit, O.: Two higher order Zig-Zag theories for the accurate analysis of bending, vibration and buckling response of laminated plates by radial basis functions collocation and a unified formulation. J. Compos. Mater. 45(24), 2523–2536 (2011)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nik, A.M.N., Tahani, M.: Bending analysis of laminated composite plates with arbitrary boundary conditions. J. Solid Mech. 1, 1–13 (2009)Google Scholar
- Pagano, N.J.: Exact solutions for bidirectional composites and sandwich plates. J. Compos. Mater. 4, 20–34 (1970)Google Scholar
- Sayyad, A.S., Ghugal, Y.M.: Bending and free vibration analysis of thick isotropic plates by using exponential shear deformation theory. Appl. Comput. Mech. 6(1), 65–82 (2012a)Google Scholar
- Sayyad, A.S., Ghugal, Y.M.: Buckling analysis of thick isotropic plates by using exponential shear deformation theory. Appl. Comput. Mech. 6(2), 185–196 (2012b)Google Scholar