Analysis of the novel flexure parallel micromanipulators based on multi-level displacement amplifier with/without symmetrical design
Conventional flexure-based parallel micromanipulators (FPM) usually suffer from a small stroke. The performance of a FPM is highly related to the stroke of each actuated limb and the associated constraints, including non-actuated joints. To conquer the drawbacks of the small workspace of conventional FPMs, a device for displacement amplification could improve motion ranges when incorporated into the design of the actuated limbs. This research is focused on the development of a group of unique FPMs with/without symmetrical design based on a multi-level displacement amplifier. Firstly, structural modeling based on a compact and modular design is introduced. Then a macro/micro analysis of the displacement amplifier is conducted. Subsequently, a comprehensive finite-element modeling including the strain and total deformation, modal and frequency response is undertaken to examine the mechanical behavior of the proposed mechanism. The developed method and technology provide a promising solution to enhance the performance of generic FPMs.
KeywordsFlexure-based parallel micromanipulator Multi-level displacement amplifier Finite-element analysis Symmetrical topology structure
The authors would like to thank the financial support from the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC). The authors gratefully acknowledge the financial support from Canada Research Chairs program, Early Researcher Award from Ministry of Research and Innovation of Ontario and the MITACS-NCE Research Project.
- Kang, B., Mills, J. K.: Study on piezoelectric actuators in vibration control of a planar parallel manipulator. In: Proceedings of the 2003 IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, pp 1268–1273, AIM (2003)Google Scholar
- Ottaviano, E., Ceccarelli, M., Castelli, G.: Experimental results of a 3-DOF parallel manipulator as an earthquake motion simulator. In: ASME Conference Proceedings of IDETC/CIE (2004)Google Scholar
- Palmer, J., Dessent, B., Mulling, J.F., Usher, T., Grant, E., Eischen, J.W., Kingon, A., Franzon, P.: The design and characterization of a novel piezoelectric transducer-based linear motor. IEEE/ASME Trans. Mechatron. 13, 441–450 (2004)Google Scholar
- Wang, L., Rong, W., Feng, M., Liu, T., Sun, L.: Calibration of a 6-DOF parallel micromanipulator for nanomanipulation. In: Nanoelectronics Conference (INEC), 2010 3rd International 2010, pp. 138–139 (2010)Google Scholar
- X. Tang, H.-H. Pham, Q. Li, I.-M. Chen, Dynamic analysis of a 3-DOF flexure parallel micromanipulator. In Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Robotics, Automation and Mechatronics, pp. 95–100 (2004)Google Scholar