Fractional derivative viscoelastic model for frequency-dependent complex moduli of automotive elastomers
- 298 Downloads
Finite element modeling has been used extensively nowadays for predicting structural vibration and noise radiation of automobile engines and subsystems. However, many elastomeric components on the engines or subsystems are often omitted in the FE models due to primarily the lack of material properties at higher frequencies. The present paper describes a form of fractional derivative viscoelastic model for characterizing frequency-dependent complex moduli of elastomers. The model is used to predict the high frequency complex moduli of some fluoroelastomers with varying durometers. Excellent correlations between testing and prediction are obtained.
KeywordsViscoelasticity Elastomer Fractional derivative model Complex modulus Dynamic mechanical analysis
The present work has been supported by the Charles A Dana Foundation.
- Ferry J.D.: Viscoelastic Properties of Polymers, 2nd ed. Wiley, New York (1970)Google Scholar
- Hong, K.L., Tathavadekar, P., Raveendra, S.T.: On the evaluation of radiated sound field of engine covers, Paper presented at 2001 SAE World Congress, Detroit, Michigan, Paper No. 2001-01-1412 (2001)Google Scholar
- Lu, Y.C., Anderson, M.E.: On the use of spatial transmissibility to evaluate the NVH performance of engine covers, SAE Paper No. 2002-01-0458 (2002)Google Scholar
- Lu, Y.C., D’Souza, K.: Acoustic analysis of isolated engine valve covers. J. Passeng. Cars–Mech. Syst. 2122–2130 (2004)Google Scholar
- Lu, Y.C., Anderson, M.E., Nash, D.A.: Characterize the high-frequency dynamic properties of elastomers using fractional calculus for FEM, Paper presented at 2007 SAE Noise and Vibration Conference, ST. Charles, Illinois, Paper No. 2007-01-2417 (2007)Google Scholar
- Michel, T., Francois, G., Masri, N., Luc, C., Felice, M., Abbas, S.: Numerical modeling of engine noise radiation through the use of acoustic transfer vector—a case study, Paper presented at 2001 SAE World Congress, Detroit, Michigan, Paper No. 2001-01-1514 (2001)Google Scholar
- Young, R.J., Lovell, P.A.: Introduction to Polymers, 2nd edn. Chapman & Hall (1991)Google Scholar
- Zouani, A.: On the effectiveness of the spatial transmissibility to drive the NVH design of cylinder-head covers, Paper presented at 2006 SAE World Congress, Detroit, Michigan, Paper No. 2006-01-0280 (2006)Google Scholar
- Zubeck, M.W., Marlow, R.S.: Local-global finite element analysis for cam cover noise reduction, Paper presented at 2003 SAE Noise and Vibration Conference, Traverse City, Michigan, Paper No. 2003-01-1725 (2003)Google Scholar