Unfoldings of doubly covered polyhedra and applications to space-fillers
- 52 Downloads
We study unfoldings (developments) of doubly covered polyhedra, which are space-fillers in the case of cuboids and some others. All five types of parallelohedra are examples of unfoldings of doubly covered cuboids (Proposition 1). We give geometric properties of convex unfoldings of doubly covered cuboids and determine all convex unfoldings (Theorem 1). We prove that every unfolding of doubly covered cuboids has a space-filling (consisting of its congruent copies) generated by three specified translates and three specified rotations, and that all such space-fillers are derived from unfoldings of doubly covered cuboids (Theorem 2). Finally, we extend these results from cuboids to polyhedra which are fundamental regions of the Coxeter groups generated by reflections in the 3-space and which have no obtuse dihedral angles (Theorem 3).
Key words and phrasesunfolding parallelohedron tiling space-filler
Mathematics subject classification numbers05B45 51M20 52C22
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. Akiyama and K. Hirata, On Convex Developments of a Doubly-Covered Square, Combinatorial Geometry and Graph Theory (Proc. IJCCGGT 2003, Bandung), Springer LNCS 3330, 2005, 1–13.Google Scholar
- J. Akiyama, K. Hirata, M. P. Ruiz and J. Urrutia, Flat 2-Foldings of Convex Polygons, Combinatorial Geometry and Graph Theory (Proc. IJCCGGT 2003, Bandung), Springer LNCS 3330, 2005, 14–24.Google Scholar
- J. Akiyama and C. Nara, Tilings and Fractals from Developments of Doubly-Covered Squares, Matiyas Mathematika, 29 (2006), 15–24.Google Scholar
- P. Brass, W. Moser and J. Pach, Research problems in discrete geometry, Springer, 2005.Google Scholar
- H. S. Coxeter, Regular Polytopes, 3rd, Dover, New York, 1973.Google Scholar
- E. S. Fedorov, Foundations of the Theory of Figures, Acad. Sci., Petersburg, 1885; Republished with comments, Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1979.Google Scholar