Thermal, mechanical and dielectric behaviour of poly(aryl ether ketone) with low melting temperature
- 35 Downloads
New poly(aryl ether ketone)s (PAEKs) with a low melting temperature (relative to PEEK) are of interest in order to simplify the manufacturing of high-performance polymers or composites. In this study, we propose to investigate the physical properties of a new PAEK from Victrex, namely PAEK LM. Combinations of thermal analyses were used as follows: standard and modulated temperature differential scanning calorimetry, dynamic mechanical analysis, dynamic dielectric analysis and guarded hot plate technique. We found that the global mechanical, dielectric and thermal properties are very similar to the PEEK reference. The glass transition temperature was observed in the same range than PEEK (∼ 150 °C) while the melting temperature Tm was measured at 307 °C for PAEK LM which is about 35 °C below the melting temperature of PEEK. The degree of crystallinity of PAEK LM was found to be 27% while for PEEK it is 38%, depending on the processing conditions. This work explored crystalline structure–property relationships to explain the behaviour of PAEK LM.
KeywordsPoly(aryl ether ketone) DSC Dynamic mechanical analysis Dynamic dielectric spectroscopy Thermal conductivity
The authors gratefully acknowledge the financial support of BPI/France and Conseil Régional Midi Pyrénées/France through the MACOTHEC FUI program. The authors gratefully acknowledge the courtesy of Victrex that supplied the PAEK VICTREX AE 250™.
- 10.Ray D, Comer AJ, Lyons J, Obande W, Jones D, Higgins RMO, et al. Fracture toughness of carbon fiber/polyether ether ketone composites manufactured by autoclave and laser-assisted automated tape placement. J Appl Polym Sci. 2014;41643:1–10.Google Scholar
- 13.Turi E. Thermal characterization of polymeric materials. San Diego: Academic press; 1997. p. 720–1.Google Scholar
- 30.Thomas LC. Measurement of accurate heat capacity values. TA Instruments, Modul. DSC Pap. #9. 2005; p. 1–11.Google Scholar
- 47.Bafna M, Dashora P. A theoretical study of temperature dependence of thermal diffusivity of linear amorphous and semicrystalline polymers. Int J Recent Sci Res. 2012;3:417–22.Google Scholar
- 48.Díez-Pascual AM, Guan J, Simard B, Gómez-Fatou MA. Poly(phenylene sulphide) and poly(ether ether ketone) composites reinforced with single-walled carbon nanotube buckypaper: II—Mechanical properties, electrical and thermal conductivity. Compos Part A Appl Sci Manuf. 2012;43:1007–15.CrossRefGoogle Scholar