Synthesis and calorimetric study of hydration behavior of sulfate-rich belite sulfoaluminate cements with different phase compositions
Sulfate-rich belite sulfoaluminate (BSA) cements with varied phase compositions were synthesized in this work. The presence of sulfate in the clinker is in the form of anhydrite in addition to calcium sulfoaluminate. The aim of this paper is to study the effect of mineral composition on cement properties. Experimental results indicate that the improvement of early-age strengths mainly depends on the hydration of ye’elimite. The increase of ferrite content promotes the compressive strength after 7 days of hardening, but has adverse effect on cement strength at early ages. The optimum content of ferrite is between 10 and 20% for BSA cement containing approximately 35% ye’elimite. Different amounts of natural gypsum were added to the synthetic sulfate-rich BSA clinkers and we found that anhydrite formed in BSA clinkers can replace natural gypsum to facilitate the hydration of ye’elimite.
KeywordsSulfate-rich belite sulfoaluminate cement Mineral composition Mechanical property Hydration
The authors gratefully acknowledge the financial support from China Postdoctoral Science Foundation (2017M611924) and Natural Science Foundation of Jiangsu Province (BK20170505). The study also gains support from Project funded by College Natural Science Research of Jiangsu Province (17KJB560013).
- 2.Mehta PK. Investigation on energy-saving cements. World Cem Technol. 1980;11:167–77.Google Scholar
- 20.Mumme WG, Hill RJ, Bushnell-Wye Segnit ER. Rietveld crystal structure refinement, crystal chemistry and calculated powder diffraction data for the polymorphs of dicalcium silicate and related phases. Neues Jahrb Mineral Abh. 1995;169:35–68.Google Scholar
- 23.AQSIQ (General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine of PR China), Methods for chemical analysis of cement, GB/T 176-2008.Google Scholar
- 29.Glasser FP, Zhang L. Calculation of chemical water demand for hydration of calcium sulfoaluminate cement. In: Proceedings 4th international symposium on the cement and concrete, 1998;3:38–44.Google Scholar
- 31.Winnefeld F, Barlag S. Influence of calcium sulfate and calcium hydroxide on the hydration of calcium sulfoaluminate clinker. ZKG Int. 2009;12:42–53.Google Scholar
- 34.Dovál M, Paloui M, Kovár V. Heat evolution and mechanisms of hydration in CaO–Al2O3–SO3 system. Ceram Silikaty. 2004;49(2):104–10.Google Scholar