Influence of expandable graphite on flame retardancy and mechanical properties of organic–inorganic hybrid material based on sodium silicate and polyisocyanate
Influence of expandable graphite on flame retardancy and mechanical properties of organic–inorganic hybrid material based on sodium silicate and polyisocyanate has been investigated. The results of mechanical measurement show that adding expandable graphite decreases the maximum of the compressive strength from 5.98 to 1.49 MPa. The thermal property is evaluated by thermal conductivity test, thermogravimetric analysis. The results indicate that adding the expandable graphite increases thermal conductivity of composite and lowers maximum heat release rate. The material with expandable graphite has better flame retardancy than original material with an obvious decrease in heat release rate, fire spread and thermal decomposition rate. What is more, intumescent graphite has the obvious effect to suppress flame and prevent the composite from fire. Scanning electron microscope shows that many large particles and gaps appear after compression deformation.
KeywordsExpandable graphite Hybrid material Flame retardancy Mechanical properties Thermal properties
This work was supported by the State Key Laboratory of Coal Resources and Safe Mining, CUMT (SKLCRSM12X04), the Program for Changjiang Scholars and Innovative Research Team in University (IRT13098); the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (2014XT02). This work is also a project funded by the Priority Academic Program Development of Jiangsu Higher Education Institutions and the First Outstanding Youth by the Organisation Department of the CPC Central Committee.
- 2.Shan CB, Liu YX. Performance of polyurethane grouting material modified by sodium silicate. Build Sci. 2011;27(9):48–51.Google Scholar
- 3.Abarca SAC, Floresb O, Pretteb ALG, Barrosob GS, Coana T, Motzb G, Machadoa RA. Synthesis and thermal characterization of silicon-based hybrid polymer. Chem Eng. 2013;32:1621–6.Google Scholar
- 19.Sun Z, Ma Y, Xu Y, Chen XL, Chen M, Yu J, Hu SC, Zhang ZB. Effect of the particle size of expandable graphite on the thermal stability, flammability, and mechanical properties of high-density polyethylene/ethylene vinyl-acetate/expandable graphite composite. Polym Eng Sci. 2014;54(5):1162–9.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Jana P, Fierro V, Pizzi A, Celzard A. Thermal conductivity improvement of composite carbon foams based on tannin-based disordered carbon matrix and graphite fillers. Mater Des. 2015;83:635–43.Google Scholar
- 24.Zou L, Huang B, Huang Q, Zou Z, Tan M, Jiang J. Thermal conductivity for C/C composites. Chin J Nonferrous Met. 1997;7(4):132–5.Google Scholar