Selection of solid-state excipients for simvastatin dosage forms through thermal and nonthermal techniques
- 209 Downloads
The importance of developing new pharmaceutical final formulations is nowadays well known. In this paper, we present the study of compatibility between bioactive antihyperlipidemic agent simvastatin and eight currently used pharmaceutical excipients for developing solid dosage forms, namely starch, microcrystalline cellulose, lactose monohydrate, polyvinylpyrrolidone, colloidal silica, talc, magnesium citrate and sorbitol. The compatibility investigations were carried out under ambient temperature by FTIR spectroscopy studies and PXRD patterns and then completed by the use of thermal analysis (TG/DTG/HF) data to study the influence of temperature over stability of binary mixtures.
KeywordsStatin Compatibility study Simvastatin Thermal behavior Excipient FTIR PXRD
This work was performed at West University of Timişoara and was supported by the strategic Grant POSDRU/159/1.5/S/137750, Project “Doctoral and Postdoctoral programs support for increased competitiveness in Exact Sciences research” cofinanced by the European Social Fund within the Sectoral Operational Programme Human Resources Development 2007–2013” to Ionuţ Ledeţi.
- 1.Brunton LL, Lazo JS, Parker KL, editors. Goodman and Gilman’s the pharmacological basis of therapeutics. 11th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2006.Google Scholar
- 3.Wang KW, Chen HJ, Lu K, Liliang PC, Liang CL, Tsai YD, Cho CL. Simvastatin attenuates the cerebral vascular endothelial inflammatory response in a rat traumatic brain injury. Ann Clin Lab Sci. 2014;44:145–50.Google Scholar
- 6.Abdel-Zaher AO, Elkoussi AEA, Abudahab LH, Elbakry MH, Elsayed EAE. Effect of simvastatin on the antihypertensive activity of losartan in hypertensive hypercholesterolemic animals and patients: role of nitric oxide, oxidative stress, and high-sensitivity C-reactive protein. Fundam Clin Pharmacol. 2014;28:237–48.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Armitage J, Bowman L, Collins R, Parish S, Tobert J. Effects of simvastatin 40 mg daily on muscle and liver adverse effects in a 5-year randomized placebo-controlled trial in 20,536 high-risk people. BMC Clin Pharmacol. 2009;9:6.Google Scholar
- 10.Bercean VN, Ledeti IV, Badea V, Balan M, Csunderlik C. New heterocyclic tioether derived from 3-substituted-4H-4-amino-5-mercapto-1,2,4-triazoles and succinic acid. Rev Chim (Bucharest). 2010;61(11):1028–30.Google Scholar
- 17.Fulias A, Tita B, Bandur G, Tita D. Thermal decomposition of some benzodiazepines under non-isothermal conditions kinetic study. Rev Chim (Bucharest). 2009;60:1079–83.Google Scholar
- 20.Ledeti I, Simu G, Vlase G, Săvoiu G, Vlase T, Suta L-M, Popoiu C, Fulias A. Synthesis and solid-state characterization of Zn(II) metal complex with acetaminophen. Rev Chim (Bucharest). 2013;64(10):1127–30.Google Scholar