Incompatible hazard investigation of a cycloaliphatic epoxy resin using green analytical method
- 145 Downloads
A green analytical method was applied to evaluate the incompatible hazard for 3,4-epoxycyclohexane methyl-3′4′-epoxycyclohexyl-carboxylate (EEC) mixed with its synthetic materials. During the manufacturing process, numerous accidents of human poisoning, explosion, or fire have been reported due to the chemical’s incompatible reaction. A calorimetric application and product’s analysis approach have been employed to obtain related information for the incompatible hazard investigations of chemicals. This study also used nonlinear regression analysis to establish a kinetic model. The results proved that H2SO4 can cause an abnormal curing reaction and release significant amounts of heat of the curing reaction for EEC, increasing the occurrence probability of accidents.
KeywordsCalorimetric application Curing reaction 3,4-Epoxycyclohexane methyl-3′4′-epoxycyclohexyl-carboxylate (EEC) Kinetic model Product’s analysis approach
List of symbols
Pre-exponential factor (m3 mol−1 s−1)
Apparent activation energy (kJ mol−1)
Frequency factor (m3 mol−1 s−1)
Reaction order of the stage, dimensionless, i = 1, 2, 3
Gas constant (J K−1 mol−1)
Peak temperature (°C)
Final temperature (°C)
Absolute temperature (K)
Autocatalytic constant, dimensionless
Conversion rate (s−1)
Heat of curing reaction (kJ kg−1)
Degree of conversion, dimensionless
Scanning rate (°C min−1)
This work was supported by Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST) under grant no. 103-2221-E-224-001-MY2.
- 15.Kobayashi M, Saito H, Boury B, Matsukawa K, Sugahara Y. Toughening of cycloaliphatic epoxy resin improved by reactive copolymers with flexible alkyl side chains. J Appl Polym Sci. 2013;27:673–7.Google Scholar
- 18.Chu YC, Tsai FC, Lin FR, Chiang TC, Shu CM. Evaluation unexpected energy released for three liquid organic peroxides. Energy Educ Sci Tech Pt A. 2013;30:977–82.Google Scholar
- 19.PerkinElmer http://www.perkinelmer.com.tw (2015).
- 20.STARe Software with Solaris operating system. Operating instructions. Sweden: Mettler Toledo; 2004.Google Scholar
- 26.Goosey M, Roth M, Kainmuller T, Seiz W. Epoxy resin and their formulation, plastics for electronics. Dordrecht: Academic Publishers; 1999.Google Scholar
- 27.Lee H, Noville K. Handbook of epoxy resins. New York: McGraw-Hill; 1982.Google Scholar
- 30.CISP (ChemInform Saint Petersburg), http://www.cisp.spb.ru/ (2015).
- 31.Kossoy A, Benin A, Akhmetshin Yu. From experimental data via kinetic model to predicting reactivity and assessing reaction hazards (Methodology and Software). Proceedings of Mary Kay O’Connor process safety center 2001 annual symposium. Beyond regulatory compliance. Making safety second nature, College Station, TX, USA, 2001.Google Scholar