Study on curing kinetics of diglycidyl 1,2-cyclohexane dicarboxylate epoxy/episulfide resin system with hexahydro-4-methylphthalic anhydride as a curing agent
- 281 Downloads
The curing kinetics of the hexahydro-4-methylphthalic anhydride (MHHPA)/diglycidyl 1,2-cyclohexane dicarboxylate (CY184) epoxy resin system and MHHPA/CY184 epoxy/episulfide resin system (containing 2 mass% DMP-30 as an accelerator) was comparatively investigated by non-isothermal differential scanning calorimetry with a model-fitting Málek method and a model-free advanced isoconversional method of Vyazovkin, and the curing behavior was discussed based on the proposed curing mechanism. The results indicated that both of the MHHPA/CY184 epoxy resin system and MHHPA/CY184 epoxy/episulfide resin system fitted Šesták–Berggren model. The activation energy of MHHPA/CY184 epoxy/episulfide resin system was lower than that of MHHPA/CY184 epoxy resin system, suggesting that the episulfide resin has higher reactivity and can accelerate the reaction. The value of m in the kinetic model equation in MHHPA/CY184 epoxy/episulfide resin system is much smaller than that in MHHPA/CY184 epoxy resin system, indicating, unlike the MHHPA/CY184 epoxy resin system, MHHPA/CY184 epoxy/episulfide resin system has much less autocatalytic effect.
KeywordsEpoxy/episulfide resins Non-isothermal DSC Vyazovkin method Málek method FWO method
The authors greatly appreciated the financial supports from National Natural Science Foundation of China (Project Nos. 21176017 and 21476013).
- 1.Bell J, Ku W. Epoxy/episulfide resins. Berlin: Walter de Gruyter; 1987.Google Scholar
- 4.Ku W, Bell JP. Fast curing epoxy–episulfide resin for uses at room temperature. Epoxy resin chemistry II(A 84-29376 12-27). Washington, DC: American Chemical Society; 1983. p. 153–69.Google Scholar
- 21.Roşu D, Caşcaval C, Mustată F, Ciobanu C. Cure kinetics of epoxy resins studied by non-isothermal DSC data. Thermochim Acta. 2002;383(1):119–27.Google Scholar
- 22.Roşu D, Mustată F, Caşcaval C. Investigation of the curing reactions of some multifunctional epoxy resins using differential scanning calorimetry. Thermochim Acta. 2001;370(1):105–10.Google Scholar
- 25.Liu J, Li J, Fan M, Zhang J, Cheng J. Comparative curing kinetics of 1, 4-bis (4-diaminobenzene-1-oxygen) n-butane and 4, 4′-bis-(diaminodiphenyl) methane with tetraglycidyl methylene dianiline systems. J Therm Anal Calorim. 2014;117(2):603–610.Google Scholar