Screening and characterization of cocrystal formation between carbamazepine and succinic acid
- 535 Downloads
The pharmaceutical cocrystals are nowadays studied due to the fact that several properties, such as solubility, stability, dissolution rate and bioavailability, can be modulated. In this work, a cocrystal containing carbamazepine (CBZ) and succinic acid (SA) were prepared by the cogrinding method of the active substances, following the subjection of the physical mixture to microwave irradiation. The formation and stability of CBZ–SA cocrystal were explored using thermoanalytical methods (TG/DTG/HF), Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy and PXRD pattern diffraction. The preparation of the cocrystal was realized by slow evaporation of solvent (ethanol) from the mixture which contained the active substances in molar ratio CBZ:SA = 2:1.
KeywordsPharmaceutical cocrystal Carbamazepine Succinic acid Thermal analysis XRD
This paper was published under the frame of European Social Found, Human Resources Development Operational Programme 2007–2013, Project No. POSDRU/159/1.5/S/136893.
- 18.Ledeti I, Simu G, Vlase G, Săvoiu G, Vlase T, Suta L-M, Popoiu C, Fulias A. Synthesis and solid-state characterization of Zn(II) metal complex with acetaminophen. Rev Chim Buchar. 2013;64(10):1127–30.Google Scholar
- 21.Ledeti IV, Bercean VN, Badea V, Balan M, Csunderlik C. The Alkylation of 1H-5-mercapto-3-phenyl-1,2,4-triazole and 4H-4-amino-5-mercapto-3-phenyl-1,2,4-triazole. Rev Chim Buchar. 2010;61(9):833–7.Google Scholar
- 22.Bercean VN, Ledeti IV, Badea V, Balan M, Csunderlik C. New heterocyclic tioether derived from 3-substituted-4H-4- amino-5-mercapto-1,2,4-triazoles and succinic acid. Rev Chim Buchar. 2010;61(11):1028–30.Google Scholar
- 23.Ledeti IV, Bercean VN, Tanase IM, Creanga AA, Badea V, Csunderlik C. New azomethine derivatives of 3-substituted-4H-4-amino-5-Ethoxycarbonyl-methylsulfanyl-1,2,4-triazoles as potential anti-inflammatory agents. Rev Chim Buchar. 2010;61(10):935–7.Google Scholar
- 25.Lin HL, Lin SY, Zhang GC. Real-time co-crystal screening and formation between indomethacin and saccharin via DSC analytical technique or DSC–FTIR microspectroscopy. J Therm Anal Calorim. 2014. doi: 10.1007/s10973-014-3787-2.
- 28.Ansari MT, Pervez H, Shehzad MT, Saeed-ul-Hassan S, Mehmood Z, Shah SNH, Razi MT, Murtaza G. Improved physicochemical characteristics of artemisinin using succinic acid. Acta Pol Pharm. 2014;71(3):451–62.Google Scholar