Structural, magnetic, thermodynamic, and transport properties of A-site disordered Nd0.3Sm0.2Sr0.5MnO3
- 196 Downloads
The structural, magnetic, thermodynamic, and transport properties of polycrystalline sample of A-site disordered Nd0.3Sm0.2Sr0.5MnO3 were investigated in an attempt to understand the effect of substitution of Sm over well-studied parent compound Nd0.5Sr0.5MnO3. Samples were prepared by the solid-state ceramic route method and characterized by XRD and standard iodometric titration. DC magnetization of the sample was measured by a SQUID Magnetometer. Electrical resistivity of the sample was measured by the standard four probe method. Results showed that doping with Sm allowed first-order phase transition from ferromagnetic metal to antiferromagnetic insulator state and a charge ordering at 150 K was also observed. Magnetocaloric effect studies were carried out from the specific heat data.
KeywordsManganites First-order phase transition Charge ordering Magnetocaloric effect
The authors are grateful to DRDO, Govt. of India for supporting the present research work through a Research project (No. EPR/ER/0803750/M/01/1207). Second author thanks CSIR for providing fellowship. We also thank the Director, UGC-DAE CSR, Indore and Dr. D. Das, Dr S Chatterjee, and Mr P V Rajesh, UGC-DAE CSR, Kolkata, Prof R K Kotnala, Dr Jyoti Shah, NPL, Delhi and Prof D Varshney, DAVV, Indore for their valuable discussions, encouragement, and guidance. We acknowledge the funding of DST, Government of India, for providing funds to the PPMS and MPMS facility at CSR India.
- 2.Tokura Y. Colossal magnetoresistive oxides. 1st ed. New York: Gordon and Breach Science; 2000.Google Scholar
- 6.Dagotto E. Nanoscale phase separation and colossal magnetoresistance. 1st ed. New York: Springer; 2002.Google Scholar
- 7.Coey M. Charge-ordering in oxides. Nat Mater. 2004;430:156–7.Google Scholar
- 15.Kimura T, Shintani H, Arima T, Takahashi KT, Ishizaka K, Tokura Y. Distorted perovskite with eg1 configuration as a frustrated spin system. Phys Rev B. 2003;68(060403):1–4.Google Scholar
- 16.Kumar NP, Reddy PV. Specific heat and magnetization studies of RMnO3 (R = Sm, Eu, Gd, Tb and Dy) multiferroics. Phys Scr. 2011;83(045701):1–8.Google Scholar
- 18.Swamy NK, Kumar NP, Gupta M, Malik V, Das BK. Schottky-like anomaly in the low-temperature specific heat of polycrystalline Y0.3Gd0.2Sr0.5MnO3. Mater Phys Mech. 2013;18:35–41.Google Scholar