Coating of polyamide 12 by sol–gel methodology
- 268 Downloads
The combination of sol–gel methodology with rapid prototyping (RP) produces functionalized 3D structures with potential applications in various fields. However, this combination has been little explored. In this paper, we used the sol–gel method to deposit vanadium isopropoxide onto polyamide (PA12) constructed by RP and pretreated with acetic acid, to obtain a functionalized substrate with new thermal, physical, and chemical properties. Vanadium isopropoxide (one, five, or ten layers) was deposited onto the PA12 piece by dip-coating. We characterized the coated PA12 by thermal analyses, X-ray diffraction, and infrared spectroscopy, which revealed that V=O and Si–O–Si groups exist on the PA12 surface. PA12 coating with vanadium isopropoxide enhanced the decomposition temperature. Differential scanning calorimetry revealed increased fusion and decomposition enthalpy as a function of the PA12 coating. Therefore, deposition of vanadium isopropoxide onto PA12 pretreated with acetic acid improves the thermal stability of PA12 prepared by RP.
KeywordsRapid prototyping Sol–gel Vanadium alkoxide Thermal analysis
The authors acknowledge CNPq and CAPES (Brazilian research funding agencies) for support of this work. B.M. de C. (Grant 2008/09695-3) and E.J.N. (Grant 2012/11673-3) acknowledge grants from the São Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP).
- 2.Ricci GP, Rocha ZN, Nakagaki S, Castro KADF, Crotti AEM, Calefi PS, Nassar EJ, Ciuffi KJ. Iron-alumina materials prepared by the non-hydrolytic sol-gel route: synthesis, characterization and application in hydrocarbons oxidation using hydrogen peroxide as oxidant. Appl Catal A. 2010;389:147–54.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Wright JD, Sommerdijk NAJM. Sol-gel materials: chemistry and application, vol. 4. London: Taylor & Francis; 2001.Google Scholar
- 8.Brinker CJ, Scherer GW. Sol–gel science: the physics and chemistry of sol–gel Processing. San Diego: Academic Press; 1990.Google Scholar
- 10.Hench LL. Sol–Gel Silica. NJ: Noyes Publications; 1998.Google Scholar
- 21.Volpato N, editor. Prototipagem Rápida—Tecnologias e Aplicações. São Paulo: Edgar Blucher; 2007.Google Scholar
- 25.Nassar EJ, Bandeira LC, De Campos BM, Calefi PS, Ciuffi KJ, Silva JVL, Oliveira M, Maia IA. Coating on organic polymer with macroporous structure prepared by rapid prototyping. J Nanostructured Polym Nanocomposites. 2011;7:47–51.Google Scholar
- 26.Rosario Pignatello, Nassar EJ, Ciuffi KJ, Calefi PS, Rocha LA, De Faria EH, Silva MLA, Luz PP, Bandeira LC, Cestari A, Fernandes CN. Biomaterials and sol-gel process: a methodology for the preparation of functional materials. Biomaterials science and engineering. 2011. p. 1–28.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 38.Yu HH. Vibrational spectroscopic study of the thermal transition behavior in polyamide 11. Mater Sci Eng. 1998;A254:53–62.Google Scholar