High-sensitivity modulation differential scanning calorimetry of protein denaturation
Method of high-sensitivity modulation differential scanning calorimetry was applied for investigation of the kinetically controlled irreversible thermal denaturation of the trypsin inhibitor from soybeans (Kunitz inhibitor, KI) in diluted solution. The measurements were carried out with a temperature-modulation capillary nanocalorimeter designed and produced by the Institute of Biological Instrumentation of the RAS (Pushchino, Russia). An algorithm of the experimental data processing and corresponding software were developed. It was shown that the modulation nanocalorimetry allows one to obtain in one experiment the temperature dependence of the rate constant for irreversible protein denaturation. The temperature dependence of the rate constant and the activation energy of the irreversible denaturation of Kunitz inhibitor were determined. The obtained value of the activation energy (E a = 206 ± 6 kJ mol−1) agrees with independent estimates of this kinetic parameter.
KeywordsKunitz soybean trypsin inhibitor Thermal denaturation Kinetics Activation energy Lumry–Eyring model Temperature-modulation differential scanning nanocalorimetry
This research was supported by the Russian Foundation for Basic Researches (Grant 10-08-00063a).
- 3.Lumry R, Biltonen R. Thermodynamic and kinetic aspects of protein conformations in relation to the physiological functions. In: Timasheff SN, Fasman GD, editors. Structure and stability of biological macromolecules. Moscow: Mir; 1973. p. 7–173.Google Scholar
- 5.Reading M. Method and apparatus for modulated differential analysis. Patent USA US5346306. 1994.Google Scholar
- 12.Schawe J, Margulies M. Apparatus and method for differential analysis using real and imaginery signal components. European Patent EP0803061. 2004.Google Scholar
- 17.Kotelnikov GV, Moiseeva SP, Grinberg VY, Khokhlov AR. Modulated capillary differential titration calorimeter. Pribory (Russian). 2009;5:38–44.Google Scholar
- 18.Kotelnikov GV, Moiseeva SP. Method of measuring thermal rating on capillary differential volumetric calorimeter. Russian Federation Patent RU2347201. 2009.Google Scholar
- 19.Burova TV, Grinberg NV, Lozinskii VI, Moiseeva SP, Kotel’nikov GV, Grinberg VY, Khokhlov AR. Energetics of the binding of Cu(II) ions by thermosensitive copolymers of N-vinylcaprolactam and N-vinylimidazole in different conformational states of macromolecules. Polym Sci Ser A. 2010;52:356–61.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Solodovnikov VV. Analysis and synthesis of linear continuous and discrete systems of automatic regulation. Moscow: Mashinostroenie; 1967.Google Scholar