Red phosphors in MgAl2Si2O8 doping with Mn4+, Gd3+ and Lu3+ and host-sensitized luminescence properties
Mn4+ doped and Gd3+, Lu3+ co-doped MgAl2Si2O8-based phosphors were first of all synthesized by solid state reaction at about 1300.0 °C. They were characterized by thermogravimetry, differential thermal analysis, X-ray powder diffraction, photoluminescence, and scanning electron microscopy. The luminescence mechanism of the phosphors which showed broad red emission bands in the range of 610–715 nm and had a different maximum intensity when activated by UV illumination was discussed. Such a red emission can be attributed to the intrinsic 2E → 4A2 transitions of Mn4+.
KeywordsLuminescence Mn4+ Gd3+ Lu3+ MgAl2Si2O8 phosphors Aluminosilicates
This study was supported by Erciyes University EUBAP under project number FBD-09-804.
- 4.Blasse G, Wanmaker WL, ter Vrugt JW, Bril A. Philips Res Rep. 1968;23:189.Google Scholar
- 7.Moore PB, Araki T. Atomic arrangement of merwinite, Ca3Mg[SiO4]2, an unusual dense-packed structure of geophysical interest. Am Miner. 1972;57:1355–74.Google Scholar
- 14.Çırçır E, Ozpozan Kalaycioglu N. Host-sensitized phosphorescence of Mn4+, Eu3+ and Yb3+ in MgAl2Si2O8. J Therm Anal Calorim. 2011. doi: 10.1007/s10973-011-2118-0.
- 15.Murataa T, Tanoueb T, Iwasakib M, Morinagaa K, Hasec T. Fluorescence properties of Mn4+ in CaAl12O19 compounds as red emitting phosphor for white LED. J Lumin. 2005;114:207–12.Google Scholar
- 18.Noginov MA, Loutts GB. Spectroscopic studies of Mn3+ and Mn2+ ions in YAlO3. J Opt Soc Am. 1999;16:475–83.Google Scholar
- 20.Shen WY, Pan ML, Lin J, Fang J. Host- Sensitized Luminescence of Dy3+ in Nanocrystalline β-Ga2O3 Prepared by a Pechini-Type Sol-Gel Process. J Electrochem Soc. 2005;152:2–H25.Google Scholar