Examination of a coffee product enriched with calcium by the isoperibolic method
The main reason of osteoporosis, one of the most frequently occurring civilization disease nowadays, is the calcium-defficient and phosphorus-surplus nutrition, respectively. One of the possible preventions is to complete the foods with predominance of phosphorus with Ca at least till Ca:P ratio of 1:1. To complete foods with Ca today primarilly organic Casalts (e.g. Ca-malate, -lactate, -citrate) are used, their absoption has clinically been approved. These Ca-enrichers are food additives and have E-numbers. The raw material of a Ca-enricher has been developed by us is the Ca-rich whey of fermented fresh cheese being indigenous in the Carpathian basin, and which is further enriched in Ca (first of all in Ca-malate) during the technology. This product being under EU-patentization, contains the main adjuvants (milk protein, lactose, oligosaccharide, micro elements) promoting the Ca-absorption and incorporation in bones. It is an additive-food, its bioavailability has clinically been proved. Its further advantage is that owing to its colloidchemical stucture it can be instantized. In our experiments separately 20–20 mg from calcium-malate (CaM), fresh cheese whey powder enriched in Ca (QC), its instant version (QCi), instant coffee (DE), mixture of 50–50% instant coffee and instant fresh cheese whey powder enriched in Ca (DEQCi) were measured into the bottom of a mixing batch vessel and 180 mg distilled water into the upper part of it (in the reference one 20 + 180 mg distilled water). Attaining the heat balance the two parts of the cell have been mixed and the isotherm solution curves have been plotted at 20ºC. Our main results are: (i) There is no significant difference between the heat amounts liberated in CaM, QC and QCi plus water solutions. The average value of enthalpies is −28 J/g. (ii) There are one maximum peak at CaM and two peaks at QC during solution. The CaM, and the first maximum peaks of QC are in the range of 700–800 s after mixing, and the second peak is within 2000–4000 s. The total solution at both samples is over 6000 s. (iii) At instant sample (QCi) there is one maximum at 100 s and the solution is completed at about 700 s. (iv) The slope of DE and DEQCi curves are the same.
KeywordsIsoperibol calorimetry Osteoporosis Ca:P ratio Instant coffee
This study has been carried out in the framework of project BAROSS-DD07-DD-KKV-07-2008-0005/OMFB-00463/2009 supported by the Hungarian State. The SETARAM Micro DSC-II was supported by grants OTKA C272 (for D. L.).
- 1.Dworschák E. Food-nutrient. What we have to know on our nutrition. Budapest: Mezőgazdasági Kiadó; 1985. p. 1–141.Google Scholar
- 2.Szakály S. Kalcium-Tejtermék-Egészség (Calcium-Dairy Foods-Health). Budapest: G-Print Nyomda; 2001. p. 1–119.Google Scholar
- 3.Szakály S. Étrendi kalcium és humánegészség (Dietary Calcium and Human Health). Budapest: G-Print Nyomda; 2005. p. 1–68.Google Scholar
- 5.de Vrese M, Scholz-Ahrens K, Barth CS. Bioavailability of calcium. Bull IDF. 1991;255:33–42.Google Scholar
- 6.Keller B, Schäffer B, Szakály S. Sour whey powder enriched in calcium and its production and utilization in foodstuffs. Patent EP 2175736 (2008).Google Scholar
- 7.Szakály S, Figler M, Keller B, Schäffer B. A kalciumban dúsított túrósavó-por bioaktivitá-sának klinikai vizsgálata (Clinical examination of bioavailability of fresh cheese whey powder enriched in calcium). Tejgazdaság (Dairy J). 2008;68:13–9.Google Scholar