Evaluation of the thermal stability of biodiesel blends of castor oil and passion fruit
The diversity of raw materials and technological routes employed in the biodiesel production has resulted in products with different chemical properties. This non-uniformity in the biodiesel composition may influence to the fuel quality. The aim of this study was to evaluate biodiesel blends of passion fruit and castor oil in different proportions and their thermal stability. Biodiesel blends of passion fruit and castor oil presented parameters in the standards of the Petroleum, Natural Gas and Biofuels National Agency. The TG curves indicated that castor oil biodiesel was more stable. Passion fruit biodiesel has a high content of oleic and linoleic acids, which are more susceptible to oxidation. Biodiesel blend of passion fruit and castor oil 1:1 increased the thermal stability in relation to passion fruit biodiesel. Biodiesel blend of passion fruit and castor oil 1:2 presented higher thermal stability, because castor oil has a high content of ricinoleic acid.
KeywordsBiodiesel Blends Thermal stability
CNPq and FINEP by financial support.
- 1.Dabague R. Programa de testes para o uso da mistura diesel/biodiesel. In: Seminário paranaense de biodiesel. Anais eletrônicos, Londrina. 2003. http://www.tecpar.br/cerbio/Seminario-palestras.htm. Accessed 15 Sep 2003.
- 2.Conceição MM, Fernandes VJ Jr, Silva MCD, Santos IMG, Bezerra AF, Silva FC, Souza AG. Dynamic kinetic calculation of castor oil biodiesel. J Therm Anal Calorim. 2007;87:865–69.Google Scholar
- 5.Vasconcelos AFF. Compatibilidade de misturas de biodiesel de diferentes oleaginosas. Revista Biodiesel. 2006;11:29–32.Google Scholar
- 7.Morais MM, Pinto LAA, Ortiz SCA, Crexi VT, Silva RL, Silva JD. Study of fish oil refining process. Revista Instituto Adolfo Lutz. 2001;60(1):23–33.Google Scholar
- 8.Brasil. Agência Nacional de Petróleo, Gás Natural e Biocombustíveis. Resolução ANP no 7, DOU 20 March 2008. http://www.anp.gov.br. Accessed 14 June 2009.