Chemistry and thermal decomposition of trinitropyrazoles
- 169 Downloads
New energetic compounds-3,4,5-1H-trinitropyrazole (TNP), 1-methyl-3,4,5-1H-trinitropyrazole (MTNP) and ammonium 3,4,5-1H-TNP have been synthesized and characterized by thermal analysis. These new compounds can be considered as promising since the high heat of formation for them. To estimate the process of their thermal decomposition, the original technique for computer simulation was used. We generated the models for the mechanisms of thermal decay of synthesized compounds which allowed obtaining comprehensive spectrum of transformations of intermediates on the way to the final products of thermolysis. The preferred pathways were determined based on the results of activation energy (E a) calculations (DFT 6-311++G** method) of thermal decay reactions for each generated pathways. The thermal decomposition has been studied also experimentally by thermogravimetry (TG) and differential scanning calorimetry. Kinetic parameters of thermolysis were evaluated by model-free and -fitting methods using TG data. Model-free method has given not reliable data for TNP and MTNP compounds, whereas model-fitting yields kinetic equations with the good correlation with experimental TG data.
KeywordsTrinitropyrazoles Thermolysis Kinetics Quantum chemical calculations
We thank Professor Boris Korsunskii (Semenov Institute of Chemical Physics, Russian Academy of Science) for the helpful discussions of this work.
- 6.Clark T. A handbook of computational chemistry. New York: Wiley; 1985. 383 pp.Google Scholar
- 7.Frish MJ, Trucks GW, Schlegel HB, Scuseria GE, Robb MA, Cheeseman JR, Zakrzewski VG, Montgomery JA, Jr., Stratmann RE, Burant JC, Dapprich S, Millam JM, Daniels AD, Kudin KN, Strain MC, Farkas O, Tomasi J, Barone V, Cossi M, Cammi R, Mennucci B, Pomelli C, Adamo C, Clifford S, Ochterski J, Petersson GA, Ayala PY, Cui Q, Morokuma K, Malick DK, Rabuck AD, Raghavachari K, Foresman JB, Cioslowski J, Ortiz JV, Baboul AG, Stefanov BB, Liu G, Liashenko A, Piskorz P, Komazomi I, Gomperts R, Martin RL, Fox DJ, Keith T, Al-Laham MA, Peng CY, Nanayakkara A, Challacombe M, Gill PMW, Johnson B, Chen W, Wong MW, Andres JL, Gonzales C, Head-Gordon M, Replogle ES, and Pople JA, GAUSSIAN 98. Revision A.9, Gaussian Inc., Pittsburgh, 1998.Google Scholar
- 8.Emanuel NM, Knorre DG. Course of chemical kinetics (in Russian). Moscow: Vysshaya Shkola; 1984. 463 pp.Google Scholar
- 9.Manelis GB, Nazin GM, YuI Rubtsov, Strunin VA. Termicheskoe razlozhenie i gorenie vzryvchatykh veshchestv i porokhov (in Russian). Moscow: Nauka; 1996. 223 pp.Google Scholar
- 10.Khrapkovskii GM, Marchenko GN, Shamov AG. Influence of structure of molecules on kinetic parameters of monomolecular decay of C- and N-nitro compounds (in Russian). Kazan: FEN; 1997. 139 pp.Google Scholar