Thermal and structural characterization of two polymorphs of Atovaquone and of its chloro derivative
- 166 Downloads
Atovaquone, 2-[4-(4-chlorophenyl)cyclohexyl]-3-hydroxy-1,4-naphthoquinone, is an antimicrobial medicament used to treat or prevent pneumocystis carinii pneumonia, toxoplasmosis and malaria. Two polymorphs of Atovaquone (crystal phases I and III) were isolated and their crystal and molecular structures were determined by single crystal X-ray analysis. In both crystal phases, strong hydrogen bond interactions link adjacent molecules in centrosymmetric dimers. The existence of the different polymorphs is determined by the different orientation of the dimers in the crystal packing. In addition, a crystalline phase of the 2-chloro substituted derivative, which is not stabilized by intermolecular H-bond interactions, was also studied, and compared with those of the pristine (hydroxylic) species. DSC measurements and thermodiffractometry analyses on polycrystalline batches witnessed the 100% purity of the isolated materials and disclosed the crystal-to-crystal interconversion of phase I to phase III upon heating at 210 °C.
KeywordsAtovaquone Polymorphism Crystal and molecular structure Thermodiffractometry Thermal analysis
- 1.Bernstein J. Polymorphism of pharmaceuticals. In: Polymorphism in molecular crystal. Oxford Science Publications, Oxford; 2002, pp 240–256.Google Scholar
- 2.Brittain HG. Polimorphism in pharmaceutical Solids. New York: Marcel Dekker Inc.; 1999.Google Scholar
- 3.Hilfiker RH. Polymorphism in the pharmaceutical industries. Weinheim, Germany: Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co; 2006.Google Scholar
- 5.Szterner P, Legendre B, Sghaier M. Thermodynamics properties of polymorphic forms of theophylline. Part I: DSC, TG, X-ray study. J Therm Anal Calorim. 2009. doi: 10.1007/s10973-009-0186-1.
- 11.Tarur VR. Novel Polymorphs of atovaquone and process of preparation thereof. US 2006/0241311 A1; 2006.Google Scholar
- 12.Hughes WT, Gray V, Gutteridge WE, Latter VS, Pudney M. Efficacy of a hydroxynaphthoquinone, 566C80, in experimental Pneumocystis carinii pneumonitis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1990;34:225–8.Google Scholar
- 17.Latter VS, Gutteridge WE. Medicaments. US 4981874; 1991.Google Scholar
- 19.Sheldrick GM. SHELXL-97. Program for the refinement of crystal structures. Germany: University of Göttingen; 1997.Google Scholar
- 21.Jenkins R, Snyder RL. Introduction to X-ray powder diffractometry. New York: Wiley; 1996.Google Scholar
- 22.Burger A, Ramberger A. On the polymorphism of pharmaceuticals and other molecular crystal. I. Theory and thermodynamics rules. Mikrochim Acta. 1979;2:259–71.Google Scholar
- 23.Burger A, Ramberger A. On the polymorphism of pharmaceuticals and other molecular crystal. II. Applicability and thermodynamics rules. Mikrochim Acta. 1979;2:273–316.Google Scholar