Isothermal and non-isothermal crystallisation kinetics of pCBT and PBT
- 154 Downloads
The crystallisation behaviour of in situ polymerised cyclic butylene terephthalates (pCBT) and poly(butylene terephthalate)s (PBT) were studied by differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) both under isothermal and non-isothermal conditions. The crystallisation was analysed by adopting the Avrami, Ozawa and Kissinger methods for the isothermal and non-isothermal crystallisations, respectively. An Avrami exponent n between 2 and 3 was found for the pCBTs whereas the exponent ranged between 3 and 4 for the PBTs. The Ozawa exponent m varied for all materials between 2 and 3. Differences in the crystallisation kinetics were also reflected in the related activation energy data.
KeywordsAvrami cyclic butylene terephthalate (CBT, pCBT) isothermal crystallisation Kissinger non-isothermal crystallisation Ozawa poly(butylene terephthalate) (PBT)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. J. Brunelle, Synthesis and Polymerization of Cyclic Polyester Oligomers, J. Scheirs, T. E. Long, Eds, Modern Polyesters: Chemistry and Technology of Polyesters and Copolyesters, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester 2003, pp. 117–142.Google Scholar
- 14.M. Hoffmann, H. Kroemer and R. Kuhn, Polymeranalytik, Georg Thieme Verlag, Stuttgart 1977.Google Scholar
- 15.J. G. Fatou, Encyclopedia of Polymer Science and Engineering, Wiley-Interscience, New York 1989, pp. 231–296.Google Scholar
- 16.J. H. Magill, Polymer Handbook, Vol. VI, John Wiley and Sons, New York 1989, pp. 279–286.Google Scholar
- 17.H. Parton, Characterisation of the in-situ Polymerisation Production Process for Continuous Fibre Reinforced Thermoplastics, Ph.D. thesis, Leuven, Belgium 2006.Google Scholar
- 20.H. E. Kissinger, J. Res. Natl. Bur. Stand., 57 (1956) 217.Google Scholar
- 22.J. Yu, D. Zhou, W. Chai, B. Lee, S. W. Lee, J. Yoon and M. Ree, Macromolecular Res., 11 (2003) 25.Google Scholar