Thermal behavior of chitosan/natural rubber latex blends TG and DSC analysis
- 574 Downloads
The thermal behavior of chitosan (CS)/natural rubber latex (NRL) blends has been studied by thermogravimetry (TG) and differential scanning calorimetry (DSC). Decomposition behavior of CS changes with the addition of NRL. The effect of blend composition on the amount of residue remaining at various temperatures has been studied. Activation energies of degradation have been calculated using Horowitz-Metzger equation. From the activation energy values, it is found that among the series of the blend compositions, CS15NRL85 exhibits better thermal stability. DSC studies reveals that the CS/NRL blends are thermodynamically incompatible. This is evident from the presence of two glass transitions, corresponding to CS and NRL phases in the blend.
Keywordschitosan natural rubber polymer blends thermoplastic elastomer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.R. V. Rao, P. V. Ashokan and M. H. Shridhar, Polym. Degrad. Stab., 0 (2000) 1.Google Scholar
- 3.D. M. Price, D. J. Hourston and F. Dumont, Encyclopedia of Analytical Chemistry, pp. 8094–8105.Google Scholar
- 7.G. Cardenas and S. P. Miranda, Chil. Chem. Soc., 49 (2004) 291.Google Scholar
- 9.B. F. Oliveira, M. H. A. Santana and M. I. Re, Brazilian J. Chem. Eng., 22 (2005) 353.Google Scholar
- 15.F. A. Lopez, A. L. R. Merce, F. J. Alguacil and A. Lopez-Delgado, J. Therm. Anal. Cal., OnlineFirst, DOI: 10. 1007/s10973-007-8321-3.Google Scholar