Effects of organoclays on the thermal processing of pe/clay nanocomposites
Nanocomposites containing both polyethylene and montmorillonite clay organically modified with four different types of quaternary ammonium salts were obtained via direct melt intercalation. Thus, the main purpose of this work was to evaluate the effect of the organoclay on the thermal stability of polyethylene. The organoclays were characterized by XRD, FTIR, DSC and TG. The polyethylene/organoclay nanocomposites were studied by XRD, TEM, TG, besides an evaluation of their mechanical properties. The results showed that the salts were incorporated by intercalation between the layers of the organoclay and, apparently that the nanocomposites were more thermally stable than pure polyethylene.
Keywordsnanocomposite organoclay polyethylene thermal stability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W. D. Kingery, H. K. Bowen and D. R. Uhlmann, Introduction to Ceramics, John Wiley & Sons, New York 1975.Google Scholar
- 3.P. S. Santos, Tecnologia de Argilas, Aplicada às Argilas Brasileiras, Edgard Blücher, São Paulo 1975Google Scholar
- 4.C. L. V. José, C. A. Pinto, F. R. Valenzuela-Díaz and P. M. Buchler, Sintetização de Argilas Organofílicas Visando seu Uso no Controle Ambiental de Resíduos de Fenol, Proceedings of the 46th Brazilian Congress of Ceramics, CDROM, São Paulo 2002.Google Scholar
- 5.C. Zilg, P. Reichert, F. Dietsche, T. Engelhardt and R. Mülhaupt, Plástico Industrial, (2000) 64.Google Scholar
- 9.S. F. Abreu, Recursos Minerais do Brasil, Edgard Blücher, São Paulo 1973.Google Scholar
- 12.G. Beyer, Plastics Additives & Compounding, 2002, October.Google Scholar
- 13.X. Kornmann, Synthesis and Characterization of Thermoset-Clay Nanocomposites, Introduction, Internal Publication, Lulea Tekniska Universite, 1999.Google Scholar
- 16.F. R. Valenzuela-Diaz, M. M.G. Ramos, C. L. J. Vieira and C. A. Pinto, Preparação de duas argilas organofilicas visando seu uso como sorventes de hidrocarbonetos, Proceedings of the 46th Brazilian Congress of Ceramics, CDROM, São Paulo 2002.Google Scholar