Plasma synthesized nano-aluminum powders
- 153 Downloads
The plasma electro-condensation process was used to synthesize nano-sized aluminum powders. Adding different chemicals modified the physical and chemical properties of these powders. To characterize the nano-sized powders, X-ray diffraction, TEM, BET analyses, and simultaneous TG/DSC analyses were performed. TG/DSC analyses revealed a dramatic degradation of the aluminum oxide layer after storage of the aluminum powder in air for a period of several months. The burning rate of the model solid propellant with nano-sized aluminum was experimentally examined. The combustion behavior of nano-sized aluminum will be presented and will be compared with the combustion behavior of the micron-sized powders.
Keywordsaluminum powder combustion DSC nano-particles
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Pavlovetz, G 1999Scientific and Technological Basics of Production and Use of Ultra-Sized Metal Powders for the High-Energetic Compositions, Section of Application ProblemsPrezidium of Russian Academy of ScienceMoscow80Google Scholar
- 2.A. Pivkina, Yu. Frolov, S. Zavyalov, D. Ivanov, J. Schoonman, A. Streletskii and P. Butyagin, Proceedings of Thirty-First International Pyrotechnics Seminar, Fort Collins, Colorado July 11–16, (2004) 285.Google Scholar
- 3.Mench, MM, Kuo, KK, Yeh, CL, Lu, YC 1998Combust. Sci. Technol.135269Google Scholar
- 4.Aumann, CE, Skofronick, GL, Martin, JA 1995J. Vac. Sci. Technol.B131178Google Scholar
- 8.A. G. Goursat, G. Vernet, J. F. Rimpert, J. Foulard, T. Darle and J. Bigot,Metal powder manufacture starting with a molten material, Air Liquide SA pour l’Etude et l’Exploitation des Procèdes Georges Claude, France 1984, p. 9.Google Scholar
- 9.Ivanov, GV, Lerner, MI, Tepper, F 1996Adv. Powder Metall. Pat. Meter.415Google Scholar
- 10.ASTM C1274-00, Standard Test Method for Advanced Ceramic Specific Surface Area by Physical Adsorption, 01/01/2000, American Society for Testing Materials, Conshohocken, PA, USA.Google Scholar
- 11.Mary Sandstrom, Betty Jorgensen, Bettina Smith, Joseph Mang and Steven F. Son, Proceedings of Thirty-First International Pyrotechnics Seminar, Fort Collins, Colorado July 11–16, (2004) 241.Google Scholar
- 13.Phung, X, Groza, J, Stach, EA, Williams, LN, Ritchey, SB 2003Mater. Sci. Eng.A359261Google Scholar
- 14.vI. Vol’nov, Peroxide Compounds of Alkali-Earth Metals (in Russian), Moscow, Nauka 1983, p. 136.Google Scholar