Influence of different methods of controlling microwave sintering
The ceramic industry uses enormous amounts of energy to produce products at high temperatures. Energy-saving measures based on sintering process improvements are examined.
Oxide ceramics were irradiated by two different methods during microwave sintering: intermittent use of the same high power levels (time-control method) and continuous use of lower, increasing levels of power (power-control method). We found that: 1) the power consumption and efficiency of the time-control method were lower than those of the power-control method; 2) the power-control method gave more precise control of temperature under our experimental conditions; 3) sample densification did not differ greatly between the two methods; and 4) grain growth did not differ greatly between the two methods.
Keywordsalumina, barium titanate microstructure microwave sintering power-control method time-control method zinc oxide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sutton, WH 1989J. Am. Ceram. Soc. Bull.68376Google Scholar
- 2.Katz, JD 1992Annual Review of Materials22153Google Scholar
- 3.Saltiel, C, Fathi, Z, Sutton, WH 1995Mechanical Engineering117102Google Scholar
- 4.Clark, DE, Sutton, WH 1996Annual Review of Materials26299Google Scholar
- 5.Ayappa, KG 1997Rev. Chem. Eng.131Google Scholar
- 6.Lee, WC, Kuo, KS, Lin, IN 1999Ferroelectrics231237Google Scholar
- 7.Birnboim, A, Gershon, D, Calame, J, Birman, A, Carmel, Y, Rodgers, J, Levush, B, Bykov, YV, Eremeev, AG , Holoptset, VV , Dadon, D, Martin, PL, Rosen, M 1988J. Am. Ceram. Soc.811493Google Scholar
- 8.Levinson, LM, Philipp, HR 1986J. Am. Ceram. Soc. Bull.65639Google Scholar
- 10.Lin, I, Lee, W, Liu, K, Cheng , H, Wu, M 2001J. Eur. Ceram. Soc.212085Google Scholar
- 12.Cheng, JP, Agrawal, D, Zhang, YJ, Roy, R 2002Mater. Lett.56587Google Scholar
- 13.Brosnan, KH, Messing, GL, Agrawal, DK 2003J. Am. Ceram. Soc.861307Google Scholar
- 15.Chang, HY, Liu, KS, Lin, IN 1995J. Appl. Phys.78423Google Scholar
- 17.Thakur, OP, Prakash, C, Agrawal, DK 2002J. Ceram. Proc. Res. 3 75.Google Scholar