The effect of various potato cultivars at different times during growth on starch content determined by DSC
Differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) was used to determine the starch content of potato dry matter isolated from various cultivars at different times during growth. When potato dry matter was heated in the presence of excess water, a symmetrical endothermic peak resulted, which was similar to the gelatinization peak of pure starch. From the enthalpy value of potato dry matter and pure potato starch at a moisture content of 70%, the starch content in the potato dry matter can be determined. Starch content increased as growth progressed to a maximum and then decreased. The effect of moisture content and sample mass on gelatinization of dry matter and starch was also investigated. Compared to other starch analysis technique, DSC is a simple and more rapid method.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. S. Kadam, S. S. Dhumal and N. D. Jambhale, Potato: Production, Processing and Products, CRC Press, Boca Raton 1991, p. 9.Google Scholar
- 2.G. Lisinska and W. Leszczynski, Potato Science and Technology, Elsevier Applied Science, London, UK 1989, p. 166.Google Scholar
- 3.A. Pavlista, The American Biology Teacher, 59 (1997) 26.Google Scholar
- 4.D. A. T. Southgate, Determination of Food Carbohydrates, Applied Science Publishers Ltd., London 1976, p. 48.Google Scholar
- 5.H. N. Englyst, S. M. Kingman and J. H. Cummings, Eur. J. Clin. Nutr., 46 (1992) S33.Google Scholar
- 7.H. F. Zobel, Starch: Chemistry and Technology, Academic Press, New York 1984, p. 285.Google Scholar
- 10.Q. Liu, R. Yada and J. Arul, J. Food Sci., 67 (2002) 560.Google Scholar
- 11.Q. Liu, Ph.D. Thesis, Université Laval, Canada 1997.Google Scholar
- 12.D. H. Christensen and M. H. Madsen, Potato Res., 39 (1996) 43.Google Scholar
- 13.H. Kolbe and S. Stephan-Beckmann, Potato Res., 40 (1997) 135.Google Scholar
- 14.American Association of Cereal Chemist (AACC). 2000. Approved Methods of the AACC, 10th Ed. St. Paul, MN.Google Scholar