Thermal investigations on γ -radiation processed natural medicinal products (Ashwagandha, Amla and Hartiki)
- 32 Downloads
DSC and TG studies were carried out on γ -radiation processed Indian natural products of medicinal importance, namely Ashwagandha (Withania Somnifera), Amla (Emblica Officinalis) and Hartiki (Terminalia chebula). DSC thermoanalytical curves were recorded from 35 to 400°C in air and nitrogen atmosphere. Similarly, TG thermoanalytical curves were taken from 35 to 700°C in air and nitrogen atmosphere. Irradiated products gave significantly different thermoanalytical profiles in comparison to non-irradiated samples. The differences were observed above decomposition temperature of 200°C and were non-linear with respect to radiation dose. Partial oxidation of the products during irradiation in air could be responsible for the observed differences.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. E. Koop, 'The future of Medicine’ Science, 295 (2002) 233.Google Scholar
- 2.L. C. Mishra, B. B. Singh and S. Dagenaiss, 'scientific basis for the therapeutic use of withania somnifera (Ashwagandha) A review, Alternate Medicine Rev., 5 (2000) 334.Google Scholar
- 3.S. K. Bhattacharya, K. S. Satyan and S. Ghosal, Indian J. Exp. Biol., 35 (1997) 236.Google Scholar
- 4.R. Perumal Swamy, S. Ignacimuthu and A. Sen., J. Ethno. Pharmacol., 62 (1998) 175.Google Scholar
- 5.J. K. Jose and R. Kuttan, J. Clin. Biochem. Nutr., V19 (1995) 63.Google Scholar
- 6.J. F. Diehl, 'Food irradiation-past, present and future', Radiat. Phys. Chem., 63 (2002) 211.Google Scholar
- 10.D. Mitra, N. D. Patil, S. Francis and L. Varshney, ‘Thermal investigation on γ-irradiated Ashwagandha (Withania Somnifera) a herbal Ayurvedic product’. National Symposium on Thermal Analysis (THERMANS) 2004, M. S. University of Baroda, Baroda, India, January 20–24, 2004.Google Scholar
- 11.D. Mitra, K. P. Rawat, S. Francis and L. Varshney. ‘Radiation effect studies on dry powders of Amla (Emblica–Officinalis) and Hartiki (Terminalia chebula), Herbal Products’. Trombay Symposium on Radiation and Photo Chemistry TSRP–2004, January 8–12, 2004 BARC, Mumbai, India.Google Scholar