Study on structure and fluorescence of Tb-doped CaAl LDHs prepared in ethanol/water system
- 195 Downloads
An important material applied in biological fluorescent detector and medical treatment is highly desired in view of the biocompatibility and fluorescent property. Here, Tb-doped CaAl-layered double hydroxides with Ca2+/(Al3+ + Tb3+) molar ratio of 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, and 4.0 have been successfully prepared in a mixed solution of ethanol and water in a reasonable proportion. Chemical compositional analyses revealed that the experimental value of Ca2+/(Al3+ + Tb3+) molar ratio present in the samples was close to the initial value of Ca2+/(Al3+ + Tb3+) molar ratio of raw reactants. In the X-ray diffraction results, it was found that the typical layered double hydroxides structure can be kept between the Ca2+/(Al3++Tb3+) molar ratio of 1.0 and 4.0. The structural type of the Tb-doped CaAl-layered double hydroxides was monoclinic form when the Tb content was less than of 3.0 %, while rhombohedral form appeared and retained as the content of Tb3+ is kept between 3.0 and 5.28 wt%. Photoluminescence shows strong green emissions attributed to 5D4-7FJ (J = 3, 4, 5, 6) transition of Tb3+ ions incorporated in the Tb-doped CaAl-layered double hydroxides.
A series of Tb-doped CaAl-LDHs with different molar ratio of Ca2+/(Al3+ + Tb3+) have been synthesized by co-precipitation in a mixed ethanol/water system. Strong green emission appeared in the Tb-doped CaAl-LDH. The Tb–CaAl-LDHs may be a promising biological fluorescent material because of the biocompatibility of Ca2+ ions as well as the fluorescent property of Tb3+ ions. Open image in new window
KeywordsCaAl-LDH Tb dopant Fluorescence
The Project was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No.51162021).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no competing interests.
- 7.Sá FP, Cunha BN, Nunes LM (2013) Effect of pH on the adsorption of sunset yellow FCF food dye into a layered double hydroxide (CaAl-LDH-NO3). Chem Eng J 215–216:122–127Google Scholar
- 25.Chen H, Sun Y, Ruan XX, Yu Y, Zhu MY, Zhang J, Zhou JZ, Xu YF, Liu JY, Qian GR (2016) Advanced treatment of stabilized landfill leachate after biochemical process with hydro-calumite chloride (Ca/Al–Cl LDH). Biores Technol. doi: 10.1016/j.biortech.2016.01.035
- 26.Campos-Molina MJ, Santamarí a-Gonz_alez J, Mérida-Robles J, Moreno-Tost R, Albuquerque MCG, Bruque-Gámez S, Rodríguez-Castellón E, Jiménez-López A, Maireles-Torres P (2010) Base catalysts derived from hydrocalumite for the transesterification of sunflower oil. Energy Fuels 24:979–984CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Pérez-Barrado E, Pujol MC, Aguiló M, Llorca J, Cesteros Y, Díaz F, Pallarès J, Marsal LF, Salagre P (2015) Influence of acid–base properties of calcined MgAl and CaAl layered double hydroxides on the catalytic glycerol etherification to short-chain Polyglycerols. Chem. Eng. J. 264:547–556CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 33.Matusinovic Z, Feng JX, Wilkie CA (2013) The role of dispersion of LDH in fire retardancy: The effect of different divalent metals in benzoic acid modified LDH on dispersion and fire retardant properties of polystyrene- and poly(methyl-methacrylate)-LDH-B nanocomposites. Polym Degrad Stab 98:1515–1525CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 41.Soares JV, Gugliotti CF, Kawashima YS, Tatumi SH, Mittani JCR (2014) Thermo- luminescence and optically stimulated luminescence characteristics of Al2O3 doped with Tb. Radia Measurements 5:15–20Google Scholar
- 46.Qu J, Zhong LH, Li Z, Chen M, Zhang QW, Liu XZ (2016) Effect of anion addition on the syntheses of Ca–Al layered double hydroxide via a two-step mechanochemical process. Appl Clay Sci. doi: 10.1016/j.clay.2016.02.026
- 60.Chen YF, BaoY YuZP, Yang GC, Wang XQ (2016) Photoluminescence of Tb-doped MgAl-LDHs depending on phase transition caused by annealing Photoluminescence of Tb-doped MgAl-LDHs depending on phase transition caused by annealing. J Rare Earths 34:39–45Google Scholar
- 62.Chen YF, Bao Y, Yang GC, Yu ZP (2016) Study on structure and photoluminescence of Tb-doped ZnAl-NO3 layered double hydroxides prepared by co-precipitation Study on structure and photoluminescence of Tb-doped ZnAl-NO3 layered double hydroxides prepared by co-precipitation. Mater Chem Phys 176:24–31CrossRefGoogle Scholar