Polybenzoxazine–silica (PBZ–SiO2) hybrid nanocomposites through in situ sol–gel method
New type of Polybenzoxazine–silica (PBZ–SiO2) hybrid nanocomposites was prepared through in situ sol–gel method. Benzoxazine was synthesized using bisphenol-A, trans-4-aminocyclohexanol hydrochloride and formaldehyde solution through Mannich condensation reaction and was characterized by FT-IR, 1HNMR and 13CNMR spectroscopy. The methodology adopted in the present study involves to formation of hydrogen bond interaction between the benzoxazine monomer and the silica matrix, followed by the ring opening polymerization of benzoxazine monomer through thermal curing to obtain a red brown transparent PBZ–SiO2 hybrid. The formation of hybrid nanocomposites was confirmed by FT-IR. Thermal and morphological properties of the hybrid materials were investigated by the differential scanning calorimetry (DSC), thermo gravimetric analysis (TGA), scanning electron microscopy (SEM). The PBZ–SiO2 hybrids show improved thermal properties and glass transition (Tg) temperature. The nitrogen porosimetry study was carried out to confirm the nanometer level integration of polybenzoxazine in the PBZ–SiO2 hybrid nanocomposites.
KeywordsOrganic–inorganic hybrid nanocomposites Polybenzoxazine Tetraethoxysilane Sol–gel process Thermal stability Morphology
The authors thank to DST (Nanomission), SR/NM/NS-18/2010, New Delhi, Govt. of India., for the financial support and the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Anna University, for providing scanning electron microscopy analysis facility.
- 2.Mark JE, Sur GS (1985) Polym Bull 14:325–329Google Scholar
- 10.Takeichi T, Komiya I, Takayama Y (1997) Kyoka-Purasutikkus 43:109–117Google Scholar
- 18.Wang B, Huang H, Wilkes GL, Liptak S, McGrath JE (1990) Polym Mater Sci Eng 63:892Google Scholar
- 21.Zhang X, Ye H, Xiao B, Yan L, Lv H, Jiang B (2010) J. Phys. Chem. C 114:19979–19983Google Scholar
- 23.Jothibasu S, Ashok Kumar A, Alagar M (2011) High Perform Polym 23:11–21Google Scholar